• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Seeking opinions on WWED!!!??? (What Would Experts Do!)

guitar_199

Mar 8, 2011
Deer Park, TX
Here is the deal....

One of the two radios I just bought was a Smokey 23 "branded" radio. No tag on the back.... nothing. Possibly just a lower end product that some company threw out there just to "get on the bandwagon" back in the day.

The reason I bought is... a friend has a "Smokey 23" (lives across the country) and I thought it might be handy to have a reference radio like his to use on MY end to help HIM troubleshoot his. (Yes we are in the 'Land of Good Intentions'!!!). The only problem is.... when I opened the case... mine isn't ANYTHING LIKE his. Totally different board.... totally different parts layout. I honestly think that they built these based on whatever boards they could get from year to year.

So HERE is WHERE I AM......

I have the radio.
As I mentioned there are no tags or anything on the OUTSIDE of the chassis or the INSIDE to give a hint as to who made the board.
There is NO marking or part number on the board at all.
The board isn't even SILKSCREENED fully. Parts are just put on it where they need to be.... good luck finding them.

I can not find any information on this radio anywhere. There ARE models of this that are VERY VERY similar to Romar radios in the SAMS. THAT is the kind my friend has. It is indeed CLOSE to the SAMS schematic. Mine..... totally different!!!!!

In the end, I have no earthly idea WHAT this thing is OR what it is CLOSE TO... in terms of circuit tracing/following.......

So.......

1 - from the branding... (Smokey 23)... does anyone just HAPPEN to have any idea what this might be close to??? Again... NO markings of any kind on the chassis OR the board.

2 - is there anything to be gained by trying to figure it out?????

or

3 - would I be better to just pull all of the semiconductors off of it, throw it as far as I can see.... and then walk over and throw it AGAIN?????

Bob

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

I would also be glad to do some research if photos were provided. 23 channel radios are kind of my thing.

Anything to be gained? You have nothing to lose by trying to solve its origin. You can almost bet there is a clone. In the rare case that nothing is immediately found, I’d still place it in a cold case cabinet....That's just me.

In the end, if you plan on using it for parts, I would keep it intact. I have parts bins full of transistors, cans, slugs, etc. that I have striped from radios in the past. It’s a time consuming endeavor to sort each individual transistor. Nowadays whenever I need a part, I usually grab a complete parts radio. About the only things I keep separate now are crystals, mounting brackets, and mics.

This is one other Smokey CB that I found that somebody posted on Facebook. The face plate layout is different, including a Smokey the Bear logo. I never saw one of these before. Wish I had an inside view.
At any rate, these early 23ch matrix radios are not too difficult to troubleshoot and tune after doing the basics, like first changing the electrolytic caps, cleaning pots and switches.
Smokey CB.jpg

Okay, for the face appearance, the Smokey is on the left.
The board give you the general layout.... sort of.......

Attachments

• SmokeyOnTheRight.jpeg
    SmokeyOnTheRight.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 16
  • SmokeyBoardTop.jpeg
    SmokeyBoardTop.jpeg
    278.3 KB · Views: 15
I don’t have book Sams 132, but I think this could be your rebadged radio. These all have slightly different face plates, but the same layout in the following models. D-1325RF is the key to all of these examples and they can be found on Ebay.

Ebina Lake D-1325RF

BOHSEI EBINA Model D-1325RF

GRAND PRIX D-1325RF

I don’t have book Sams 132, but I think this could be your rebadged radio. These all have slightly different face plates, but the same layout in the following models. D-1325RF is the key to all of these examples and they can be found on Ebay.

Ebina Lake D-1325RF

BOHSEI EBINA Model D-1325RF

GRAND PRIX D-1325RF
Wow.... and thank you for the effort you put in!!!!!
I will take a look........

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.