• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

solar flare?

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
june 7th 2011 sun side shot a large solar flare.... towards us....yay? or nay?:glare: good thing? bad thing?

june 7th 2011 sun side shot a large solar flare.... towards us....yay? or nay?:glare: good thing? bad thing?
Usually not good. It disrupts radio waves. Expect noisy crappy interference conditions today. It was not a direct earth facing flare so it wont be as bad as it could of been.

Yep, usually not good. I have been on the air when the effects of a solar flare swept past the earth and the bottom just dropped out of a busy 20m band. Literally within a minute signals just disappeared or dropped from 20 over nine to barely readable and fluttery.

It has made dx unusually difficult for me here in the midwest. The signals that do make it in sound attenuated or far away, it is a weird disruption.

i see. YAY!, if it bumps out satellites only so all those avid phone users will get into cb or ham radio. NAY! if it kills our DX :(
lately in cali its been some weird static oscillation, massive noises... NOT human related.

large solar flares can cause damage to things we value:sad:this gives more information on that Why is a Solar Flare Dangerous? - International Business Times
here is a link showing the one you are referring to APOD: 2011 June 10 - The Sun Unleashed

Tell me about it. Been there, done that, worked the overtime because of it. :sad: Back in 1994 we had a big solar flare that released a huge amount of energy. I was called at home because we lost all satellite services in both the newsroom and main studios. After determining the issue was loss of signal into all three satellite receivers I called Broadcast News/Canadian Press in Toronto to report a trouble. They told me that Telesat Canada had "lost" a bird and all services were down.Anik E1 and E2 satellites had malfunctioned and shut down because of a space storm.Eventually I had to realign a twelve foot fixed mount dish to another bird where Telesat Canada and Broadcast News were moving services to in the interim. One bird was eventually recovered and partially restored to service but the other was toast. The high energy particles caused the stabilising gyros to fail and caused the satellites to tumble out of their orbital slots and be lost in space for a time. One bird also suffered a failed transponder package making it a half-billion dollars worth of space junk. In an extreme case power transmission line transformers and generator stations can be fried.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.