• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stumper for the hammies..

Splash1

Jun 11, 2006
have a 250 amp..delta force radio..radio does 28 watts barefoot with a loud whistle..anyways,,with amp on line with power on radio just barly cracked on the swr is 3,,with the power on the radio turned all the way up the swr is just over 1.5 ....how is this possible?normaly it would be the other way around....

try a different length jumper between the radio and amplifier .this usually clears up any nonsense .if it does not then the amplifier input is whacked.

Moleculo..its a external meter..Funky,,i tried diferent jumpers an stil same results..I THINK IMMA GONNA KILL MYSELF....

Moleculo..its a external meter..Funky,,i tried diferent jumpers an stil same results..I THINK IMMA GONNA KILL MYSELF....

If you used DIFFERENT LENGTH jumpers and the same problem persists; then the amp's input impedance is having a problem.

Time to send it to a shop - or try another amp - or both . . .

Couple of questions just to be clear...
Is it the input swr ( the swr the radio see`s going into the amp) or the output swr ( the swr that the amp see`s going to the antenna) that changes?
What is the power level with the radio turned all the way up?
Can you tell us what kind of amp it is...or post a picture of the inside of the amp?
home brew, or????

Jeff

AUIDO,,its a home brew amp and does round 250 max..radio itself does bout 28 watts max,,its a mag delta force..its a high drive amp..the radio swr meter and the diamond sx 200 meter say the same for the swr..low power radio 6 watts high 11..

Funky,just talked to a guy on the radio n he said to open the amp n look for a coil that might have come loose by the antenna section so i,ll have a look n i,ll check in here later..thanks..

then the amp's input impedance is having a problem.
I agree.
Can you post some good pictures of the inside of the Amp?

The way "home brew " amps are built vary a lot.
If you can post some good close up pictures of the gut`s some one here might be able to help....

Jeff

For the Magnum Delta Force a low dead key of 6 and high of 11 is much too hi for that radio. Something like 2 and 8 is more in line for an old school dual 1969 final radio.

Next problem is most small 250 model or wattage numbered amplifiers work best with a lower dead key. Even if they are claimed to be "HI DRIVE". For example, a Texas Star 250/350 HDV amplifier will work best with a 1-2.5 watt max AM dead key input.

As far as your problem I assume you have the SWR meter AFTER the amplifier. Since this is a "home brew special" amplifier the issue is in the amplifier. Get a quality built AB amplifier and be done with it.

Last question, why is this a stumper for the hammies? Running an Export radio on 11m into an illegal amplifier is hardly something you want too many "hammies" knowing about. Most would rather report you to the FCC then help you with your problem.

Most would rather report you to the FCC then help you with your problem.
That is an assumption worthy of another forum, not this one.
I see no mention of what frequency range the radio is being used in so again assuming....it could very well be 10 meters.
There are "hammies" around here who do not ASSume as others do.
We try to help increase knowledge around here without being too judgmental.

[QUOTthe radio swr meter and the diamond sx 200 meter say the same for the swr.E][/QUOTE]

It is the input we are talking about here if it has been explained correctly, not the output.
The Meter in the radio would show the SWR on the input to the amp if it is in-line and turned on.

It could be as simple as adding a cap across the input.
The thing with "Home Brew" amps is how it has been built is a unknown.

Jeff

Jeff..was told when bought the amp it originaly did 4-600 watts but only does bout 250 now..opened it up n it had 4 toisba pills inside..was told by a local a couple of the pills must be burned out n maybe thats the problem..just ordered a antenna tuner to see if that helps..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.