• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Super Star 148DX Modifications?????

4play

Apr 26, 2006
AZ
I just bought a "like new" (I hope) 148DX, what mods should I ask for to make it really work nice? An instant 19 switch would be nice, is that easy to do? Do I need a boost or can it be smiled on enough to stand alone OK? This my 1st SSB rig so any constructive advice is welcomed.

I was just curious what can/should be done to make them work as well as possible. I build motors, cars etc. I do not have any electronic soldering experience & don't plan to practice on the nicest radio I've ever bought :)
Paying one of you experts is cheap compared to the damage I can do & I read enough to know not to get "Wacked" :p

I'm sure I will, just getting an idea what all I should ask for.
He did my PC78 & I couldn't be happier with it.

Uh, I'll cast another vote for Justin.

Trust me, we've done plenty of "head-scratcher" jobs for small-town and/or rural truckstop shops. They do okay on the handful of 40-channel models that they know by heart. Didn't get many of that kind of radio from them. But when they showed up with car full of radios, it would always be the exotic, or seldom-seen models that had stumped them.

Oh, and Galaxy mobiles with loose on-the-side mike sockets. But that's a whole 'nother story.

You have a radio which is "exotic" by small-town and/or truck-stop-CB-shop standards. Only a minority of that kind of outfit has someone on hand who is either: A) familiar with an exotic design, or B) equipped to figure one out even if it's not terribly familiar.

Justin qualifies for A and B, both.

I oughta know.

I managed to get the seller to ship it straight to Justin & he's already got it ready.
He said it was in very good condition, so +1 for Ebay :)
I can't wait to try it out. Any unwritten rules or tips for proper behavior on SSB?

no echo's, no beeps, and talk clear. its normal conversation, not like the rambling like on am.. ie i just got down and bullshit like that.

I didn't ask for any toys, just a nice tune. I rarely talk on the CB other than reports or directions to other drivers. Hopefully I'll be wired up & running by next weekend, we'll see if there is much going on along the Gulf Coast. The added range will be interesting & the higher quality of conversation would be nice.
There are a couple of locals that I think have super glued their mic buttons & have the ability to speak while breathing in just like playing a harmonica :D

Well I powered it up & it has awesome ears on AM, not too much traffic during my commute on SSB so far.
Both radio checks I did said I was waay too loud, so I need to get rid of the diesel amplified mic that it came with & get a noise cancelling one.
Thanks to Justin for the tune & the advice.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.