• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sweep Tube Amp Question

PA629 said:
I have an older sweep tube amp in 1x3 configuration using 6je6's. Given the availability and cost of NOS tubes for this, what is the feasibility of re-tubing this with something more readily available like EL509/519's, or maybe 572B's? (Although I suspect I don't have the voltage required by some of the big glass.) Doesn't have to remain in the same config. I'm not looking for a huge wattage increase (no, I don't play on the Supabowl, 10-4, Rogeee..... :roll: ), just something in the 180-250W range would be adequate, any more than that would just be icing on the cake. Any thoughts on the subject? Suggestions? I have a feeling that the cost to re-invent the wheel is going to be not worth the effort, but I hate to give up on an amp that's almost mint except for the tubes. Am I beating a dead horse here? TIA

theres 6 different drop in tubes that you can use with no conversions for that setup 1 driving 3 6JE6 I will list the 2 best....(6LQ6--nice tubes 6.3 Heater voltage--2.5 A Heater Current 20-60 bucks 30-85 watts)
(6KM6 6.3 Heater voltage--1.6 A Heater Current 13-30 bucks 20-70 watts 10 watts less compared to the 6LQ6's.)
EL509/519's ....not worth converting will cost more then buying the 4 tubes.....
same thing with the 572B's way more money to convert this unit over 9 pins to 4 pin sockets...not worth it :)

so total re-tube for that linear 4 6LQ6's 30-60 bucks a piece o try ebay...I can get them for 30 a piece NIB...300-350 watts ...

or
4 6KM6's 13-30 bucks a piece I can get them for 13 bucks a piece NIB 275-325 watts

now the wattage is how you swing into the linear...2 watts swinging 20 is a nice setup or less....

PM me if you need them tubes ...like I said NIB(new in box)
and stored vertical....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.