• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR Calibration shuts down Cobra 29 LX BT

usmcss

Jul 31, 2013
Bought a new Cobra 29 LX BT a couple weeks ago. I was tuning the antenna and had the radio in Calibration Mode, when I would key the mic, the radio would shut completely down for about 2 seconds and then turn back on. It happened 3 times and then never happened again.

The radio has been working fine. Today I was checking the SWR and while in Calibration Mode the radio shut off like before while keying the Mic.

Has anyone ever had this happen before? The grounds are all good and so is the SWR.

Thank you!

Semper Fi!

Check your power connections including the power supply if this is on a base and any inline fuse holders. A poor or loose connection may allow your receiver to work but as soon as you draw any amount of current the voltage may drop to the point where the radio shuts down.I had that problem with the fuse holders in my FT-857D. As soon as I keyed up the radio would shut down. I had a loose connection in a fuse holder.

Check your power connections including the power supply if this is on a base and any inline fuse holders. A poor or loose connection may allow your receiver to work but as soon as you draw any amount of current the voltage may drop to the point where the radio shuts down.I had that problem with the fuse holders in my FT-857D. As soon as I keyed up the radio would shut down. I had a loose connection in a fuse holder.

Thanks a lot Captain! When I first saw it happen it was while using a cigarette Lighter adapter. Might not have been in all the way.

This last time it happened, I hardwired it and had to make the wires longer so there was some splicing involved and there might be a bad connection there. Just assumed that if there was power to the unit it was good to go.

Thanks again!!!

Semper Fi!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio