• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tech license info

Actually, I paid $10. But, by the time I go for the Extra license later this year it will be $15. That is what the VEC's told me when I was there, as they advised me to take the Extra test. I didn't; as I have enough on my plate before I feel anywhere near ready to take it again.
KI6USW/AG clear...

Actually, I paid $10. But, by the time I go for the Extra license later this year it will be $15. That is what the VEC's told me when I was there, as they advised me to take the Extra test. I didn't; as I have enough on my plate before I feel anywhere near ready to take it again.
KI6USW/AG clear...

From the Govt. info on eham.net
Exam sessions are conducted by volunteers working under the direction of the FCC. There will likely be a charge for taking the exam. There is no FCC fee for an initial license, or standard changes to a license. However, there are fees for other FCC services. The exam fee is set by the local exam administrator, the Volunteer Exam Coordinator (VEC), and is usually $14 or less. Contact the exam session administrator to determine the fee that applies to the exam session you plan to attend.

Looks like the ve's can charge whatever they want maybe?

Ron

And contrary to popular belief, that fee is determined by the VEC (ARRL/W5YI/etc) organization, not the VECs giving the test. Those VEs are allowed to keep very little of that fee, usually enough to cover typical postage and copying fees. Considering the amount of paperwork envolved (real live paper, not electronic stuff), that 'volunteer' part of the name is really true. Couldn't tell you exactly how much that amounts to but usually a dollar or two per examinee. The local VEs used to have slightly more control over things, such as, if a person passed one element there wouldn't be an additional fee if they wanted to try the next element. That's changed recently. If there's a CSCE issued, there's a fee. Pass two or more elements, two or more fees. If there is no CSCE issued, the local group can sort of not charge at all, a sort of "What test?" thingy. that's really the only 'lee-way' the local VEs have. Don't count on that though, just depends on the number of applicants etc. If the paper work has to be done, then there will typically be a fee, which goes to the VEC (ARRL, W5YI, etc.). Nothing secret about it, everyone knows it's done, it's the paper work part that costs. Last year, I think the colacl club made almost $50, give or take a few. Almost enough to pay for the coffee consumed during meetings and testing sessions! You still hear about that "fat envelope" thingy you're supposed to pass to the examiner, but Oooo don't do that if you want a license! It's still a joke. Sure, you hear about it happening, but you also hear about that VEC group getting caught. You don't hear about what happens to them because of that 'under the table' thingy. It ain't 'purty'.
- 'Doc

Took my tech today an only missed 1, that damn current over resistance or something like that. I always pick the wrong damn one....hehe

Went on an took the general while I was there, hadn't studied 1 lick on it, an only missed gettin' it by 2. I'll study up this week an go take it again in a week or so.

Ron (y)

think you'll need to wait 30 days ,Congrats , your license should show up in a couple of weeks

KI6USW/AG clear...
should have taken it anyway , just to see what's on it ,
i took it when i took my general ,
missed by about ten questions, made my head hurt and my eyes bleed
it's pretty tough

Cool Beans !!!!!
so what did you decide on for an HF setup ?
you'll be more motivated than ever now !!!!

73 , hera ya on the bands
Icom IC-718 - got that
USB cable w/software - being shipped
MFJ-992B Intellituner - got that
Samlex 1223 P/S - got that - but I want to get something quieter w/more current
Radiowavz 10-40m Windom dipole - on order
Belden 9913F coax - don't have yet
Yaesu FT-8800R - got that
Diamond mag mount - got that
Magnum OmegaForce S45 - being shipped
Ranger TR-696FD-1 - got that yesterday
Archer 1/2 wave w/Belden 8237 - got that
CPI 2000 w/D104-T9 - in the shop
K40 - needs new coax
Old Cobra 29LTD w/D104-M5

Icom IC-718 - got that
USB cable w/software - being shipped
MFJ-992B Intellituner - got that
Samlex 1223 P/S - got that - but I want to get something quieter w/more current
Radiowavz 10-40m Windom dipole - on order
Belden 9913F coax - don't have yet
Yaesu FT-8800R - got that
Diamond mag mount - got that
Magnum OmegaForce S45 - being shipped
Ranger TR-696FD-1 - got that yesterday
Archer 1/2 wave w/Belden 8237 - got that
CPI 2000 w/D104-T9 - in the shop
K40 - needs new coax
Old Cobra 29LTD w/D104-M5

guess i should have said , what did you decide on for a antenna ?

Don't know how I missed that passing the exams, but I did. So, while it's sort of late, congratulations!
The one universal thingy about taking any of these exams is to not leave any blank answers. Even if you have no idea what the question was, mark an answer. Why not? If you make the wrong choice, it's the same as not answering it at all, what's the difference, you know? Who knows, you may get lucky.
I agree with 'RZD', take the next test in line. At the very least, you'll have a 'taste' of what it's like, gives you an idea of what you need to study. Then there's always that "Get Lucky" thingy!
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio