• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thoughts on a Magnum Delta force.

" bought one new, and did the NPC mod found on the CBtricks site. Radio really sounded great, best echo on the market IMO. SSB was pretty good as well, I liked the ability to adjust in 1 kHz jumps. "

My Delta has the non volted final version of the NPC and it just plain talks. As I stated before I have been on a quest to find a radio that will out talk it and I have had no luck as of yet. I even bought a Justin tuned Magnum S3 and while talking on the local base station channel I would switch between the S3 and Delta. After doing this several times the locals on the channel told me to get rid of the S3, the Delta was smoking it. I will say this, the receive was alot quieter on the S3 then the Delta. Another problem with the Magnum S3 was in order to see the full peak power ( 38 watts ) you had to crank the mic gain. Then everyone would say the Audio sucked and I had to back the mic gain down, by doing this peak wattage dropped to 30 watts. I never did see the claimed 51 watts on the Bird meter we used either. It's a Delta Force world i guess.

I think I will have to try a Stryker next.

I bet the Top Gun was removed. I have a S9 that is stock, and right out of the box it was doing better than 40 PEP. For some reason some shops are removing the radios original parts. These S radio's suposedly are as good as they can be stock.

I smacked an s9 so deep in the mud last weekend that he needed a back hoe to get out the guy talking on it even admitted he had been srapped. It sounded ok his Mod was fair but nothing to spend real money on. So in short I dont see the big deal about them. By the way I had the amp off when I hit him.

delta force sounds great to me on am an ssb..the one i had the recive was real touchy though..if someone was close by you get alot of feedback an you have to constanatly turn your rfgain down.

Yes the delta force rx can be over loaded fairly easy, adjacent channel rejection is poor as well. I say 40 channel unidens are much better in the rx department.

King Mudduck,

Just curious. Isn't there a Spanish style white brickhouse just off Hwy 90 on Lackey Farm Rd? Not too far from the fish camp (if it is still operating--Captain's Galley, was it?). There used to be a lady that ran a little cafe right there, too. Made some delicious pies/turnovers! Cafe is gone, too, I think. Betcha you're wondering how I know the area!~ :p Well, I was friends with some people who ran a well-known well pump and water systems there at that house. The guy was a ham, but has been dead for 15 years. I sold the radios for the Missus. He had 'em STACKED down in the basement shoulder high! If he broke a radio, he'd just whip out his wallet and buy another one. Heck, the guy was LOADED. I hauled out SEVEN--count 'em--SEVEN working Swan 700CX HF radios. a couple of them were like brand NEW in the box. I got out 8 or 9 Heathkits, and several Icoms and a TON of accessories. I made about 4 trips up there and my station wagon was mashed down
til I thot I might drag the hitch on the ground! :roll: Never saw so many radios! ;)

CWM

King Mudduck said:
Picked up one today for $125.00 looks like new.The receive is strong and its doing about 30 watts pep.Seems a little low to me.What do you all think about these radios?Good and the bad please.

If modded correctly the Delta Forces will talk GREAT. I really can't tolerate the echo/reverb crap that is in all export radios. Most Export radios need the echo to give it some degree of punch but the Delta has killer punch with no echo.
The Delta Force is the only export radio that has impressive audio. The downside is obviously the annoying microprocessor controlled functions.

JustinDePolis said:
So far I've read a two page thread, and growing on a radio that uses 25 year old technology. Interesting... :?

WTF????? A loud radio is a loud radio regardless of what technology is in it.

psycho....JD must be waiting on the SSB-version stryker like the rest of us, so he has a reason to unload his good talking magnum :p

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.