• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tower

W5LZ

Crotchety Old Bastard
Apr 8, 2005
Oklahoma
This is one of those curiosity thingys.
My neighbor has a 120 foot crank-up tower that he recently 'stole' (not really, but at the price he paid for it, he might as well have held a gun on the seller). After finding out the limitations of putting the thing up (local ordinances), concrete, guying, whatever else, he's not all that sure he wants to do it now. I'm wondering what the thing is worth. It's not in bad shape at all, not 'new', it's 'all' there, and was made by 'US Towers'. I know what they want for a new one (unbelievable!), what he paid for it, and wonder that the thing is going for on an average in the used market. Anyone have any ideas?
- 'Doc

I know a fellow ham that got a used 90' crank up U.S. Tower for around $4-5000 (forget the exact price). For this price, he and a few friends removed it from it's base, loaded it on a trailer and brought it to his home (easier said than done).

This ham will probably have $25,000+ invested in this tower when it is finally done, with motors to raise/lower the tower, the raising fixture, excavation for the tower and conduit, permits, the cage for the foundation, the concrete, etc. (BTW, I helped him move the cage, which was about 700 lbs, 1" rebar construction).

Yes, big towers cost big money!

Without knowing the model number for the tower, I'd say $1,000.00 on the used market.

I know this sounds crazy, but 3 section towers go for $300.00 to $500.00. The 100' should be 6 sections.

The problem is that you will receive NO DOCUMENTATION from the manufacturer on used towers. This means no engineering specs for the permit process.

'M.C.',
While the 'documentation' wasn't in written form, my neighbor did talk to the designer/engineer for 'US Towers' about the tower and got all the information he could stand (lol!). There is no more 'US Towers' by the way, someone bought them out.
Also found out that a new tower such as the one he acquired, goes for more than a loaded new car does! I know I'm cheap, but I can't believe anyone would pay that kind'a money for a tower. If that $1K figure is even close to 'average', oooooo am I tempted! He made me a 'deal' he knew I wouldn't accept. If I could 'finagle' a little bit higher 'going price' than what you said, I might just take him up on it! Anybody wanna buy a very nice, reconditioned tower? I'll even deliver within reasonable range?? Throw in two bags of 'Quickcrete'???
- 'Doc

(About the local ordinances, permits, etc. Man! Did I carry him high over that - LOL ! It's always easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission, right?)

http://www.k9ct.us/

was it this guy? this is a real tower.
look under tower and antenna project.

That's pretty odd you mentioned K9CT, because that is the very link my friend sent me when he first told me about the tower he was getting. :shock:

That was the way my friend constructed his tower, but his base plate was a custom made piece of 1" thick steel that resembles home plate.

A 120' crank up is going to be worth a lot more than $1k, but heck it's worth a try eh? Rohn 25 would cost you probably $3k to put one up that high.

21) Manufacturer: US TOWER
Item : HDX-5106MDPL
Description : 106 FT 6 SECT. H.D. TOWER W/MDPL
YOUR HRO PRICE $24849.95

If that tower is in even halfway o.k. condition it's worth $10k if it's worth a dime. Anything less and you are stealing it.

linearone,
Maybe not from the FCC/FAA, but you might be surprised at what your local city/state requirements are.
- 'Doc

My local area is up to 60' with just a construction permit. So you pay your permit fee, dig your hole, make your rebar cage and pass the inspection. Then pour the concrete.

Over 60' requires a variance...meaning neighbors' signatures to approve it.

What I'm not sure of is how a crank-up fits that as technically it isn't its extended length on a permanent basis, just it's collapsed length.

Here, if it falls at maximum height and crosses your property line, it's a no-no. Also something to the effect that it can't be closer than 25 feet from the property line in an extended position if it falls. That one's a bit odd, but so is our city codes department.
Not exactly legal, but rather than seek permission, put the @#$ thing up and get an 'exception'. Same or better likelihood than getting the permit even if the thing is prevented from extending full height.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.