• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TS-350 hdv variable power

Grogan

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 1, 2011
Southern New Jersey
I have been running a Galaxy DX-979 with variable power and open clairifer that I love from DTB. Rock solid and staible. I have a TS-350 I was going to run with this radio. Set the power on the raidio to 1-2 watts etc but my question is can I run the amp on variable power to the desired wattage is obtained or should I run it set to variable power and the control set to wide open I am told this will run the amp at 50% power ( set to variable and knob wide open) not shure how the variable power works buy i read leave it wide open or it will over heat and burn.

I ran a 959 and TS350HDV, set the amp wide open, adjust with the varible on the radio...hopefully DTB set your variable up so that it will work with the amp. I was able to tell him what I was doing, so he set the radio up for that setup.

I want to remember I was set at about 50 watts swinging just about 175 watts with the radio turned all the way down and the amp turned all the way up.

On edit: don't worry about the radio's output, worry about the output from the amplifier...get your setup where the amplifier is working within its sweet spot, the radio doesn't care what its doing.

Just finished connecting the amp and power supply. SWR is good, Radio set with a 1 watt dead key amp dead keys at 60 and swings to just above 200 on my Daiwa CN-801 HP Not to bad. I was also questioning about using variable power but from reading most people say to run it wide open. on the amp that is.

You need to run the radio at the proper drive level so you don't overdrive the TS350. The most important part is keeping the AM dead key in the 1-2 watt range. Reason being is those variable TS pots are 2 watt pots. If you dead key say 5-6 watts into the amp you will burn a spot on that pot or smoke it all together.

As far as peak swing input levels, something in the 14-24 watt range will be the sweet spot. On SSB with mine 18 watts PEP from a Uniden Madison gives me 290-310 out from the amp wide open. When I increase the drive to 30 watts PEP I only gain another 40 er so watts. This makes the amp run hotter and it's not really worth the trouble I think.

So bottom line if you can get your 979 to dead key 1.5 watts and swing under 25 watts you should be good to go.

I am in that Range. It will go as low as 3/4 DK and swings to 20 --22 or so. and sounds clean. I keep the Mic gain around 1:00 to 3:00 with the RK56 mic. I have tried several mic's and was told the 56 sounds the best. Clear and loud but I have to remember to keep my lip on the guard. Good thing the radio has talk back that way I can see how the Mic responds.

Yes, keep the var. wide open. It's designed to be a driver for a bigger amp. Also, ive heard the pot is the weakest link on Texas stars, just run it turned up and talk-away.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.