• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TS 350 SSB issue

JCH

Jun 13, 2011
LA
Guys,

I bought a 949 to try SSB and running a Texas Star 350 with it. Number one is the SWR light will flash when I begin speaking on SSB, it does not do this on AM and the SWR doesn't spike per my external meter so might be a quirk with the radio.

My real issue is from time to time when the amp is on, with yellow SSB button engaged, I will hear only garbeled static through my talkback on my radio and my S Meter needle on the radio jumps around crazy like. The needle on the amp's meter does the same thing (jumps around crazy). Other times, the amp seems to be working fine and both needles show smooth fwd swing, but the amp does seem to cut back on SSB power per the radio S Meter.

On my external meter I show about 150 watts pep being driven by 10-12 on SSB. I have made a contact some 500 miles away so i think it gets out from time to time, but can make AM contacts easier.

The radio has not been aligned or molested other than me turning on the easy adjustment locations (AM mod, AM hi, AM lo, SSB ALC, SSB Power to 12.5v).

I may have to break down and take it to one of these local jake legs but man I hate to have to do that. I thought this stuff was easy?

Thanks for any help.

if you messed with the SSB ALC pot, then your possibly over modulating.... maybe. question is...... that contact you made some 805km away did they hear you clean loud? if yes then u not over modulation. ..........dunno why that swr light comes on....iv learned to use a meter inline with no amp and if radio on high shows swr flat then i remove the meter in line and run the amp.... amp grounded? radio grounded? - side of antenna grounded? is this a mag mount setup or perm mount........?

best of luck to you bud hope to hear you on the ssb 27.555usb 73s

I guess the guy heard me clear, he didn't say otherwise and I didn't ask.

It seems if the radio was overmodulating the issue would occur everytime i spoke into the mic.

The antenna (Wison 2000) is permanently mounted and grounded to the frame of the vehicle, SWR around 1.1-1.2.

I've had a time getting all components grounded due to my vehicle, a toyota tacoma, having a composite (fiberglass) bed. I've gotten some help from other members here and been directed to other threads related to grounding issues with this vehicle and they were a big help.

i'll keep the talkback off and keep jacking around with it. I thought I had my old Cobra 25 squared away with this system and went and got another radio, and so the rodeo continues.

thanks a lot for the help and suggestions.

jch

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned