• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Grant XL vs Cobra 138 XLR

ncskipboy90

Feb 1, 2009
Need help making the decision between these radios. If you could with your reply tell me what makes one better than the other.

Also what is a good amp to use and what is approx. distance in mileage i can expect with amp and a99 antenna?

Ok well then lets throw the cobra 148 GTL with side mic. into the mix. The one made in Malaysia not the new front mic models from china

The Cobra 148GTL and the Grant XL both use the same board, and I agree with Unit 399, the Cobra 138XLR would be the better radio. The old D858 chassis is a wonderful board to work CB and freebands with. Depending on your antenna height and how much amplification you use, you can expect anywhere from 50-150+ miles direct contacting, and when DX is right, all around the globe for DX contacts.

~Cheers~

The Cobra 148GTL and the Grant XL both use the same board, and I agree with Unit 399, the Cobra 138XLR would be the better radio. The old D858 chassis is a wonderful board to work CB and freebands with. Depending on your antenna height and how much amplification you use, you can expect anywhere from 50-150+ miles direct contacting, and when DX is right, all around the globe for DX contacts.

~Cheers~

Thanks for the reply. Did you ever sell your 138?

Also I know being how old the 138 is it will be hard to find parts. Which is better the 148 side mic. or the grant? I will get one of the two for a back up if i decide on a 138

If both rigs are setup by a really GOOD TECHNICIAN the 138XLR will kick the Grant's ass.

How exactly is a 138XLR going to kick a Uniden Grant XL's ass??????????
If modifying for more channels means "kicking ass" then it's true but I always equate kicking ass with loud heavy audio......then the XL and pre 1997 Cobra 148s kick ass.
The 138 is a nice radio but it will not kick a Grant XL's ass.

The Cobra 138 and 139 XLR do have some Good Audio, that model has built in audio speech processing that the 148/grant doesn't have.
The mic gain on the 139 actually sets the clipping input level, and the AMC ( if set up properly) adds compression for even more talk power.
This is a case where disabling the AMC in the radio will hurt performance.
And it works in both AM and SSB modes as well, the 139 is a great old radio, these radio`s were built when they put performance ahead of cost cutting measures .

Jeff

Thanks for the great responses. However I have found the solution to end the argument. Copper has the galaxy DX 959 refurd with 2 year warranty for $109 and the will align and tune for an extra $20. Sounds like the best bet to me

Thanks for the great responses. However I have found the solution to end the argument. Copper has the galaxy DX 959 refurd with 2 year warranty for $109 and the will align and tune for an extra $20. Sounds like the best bet to me

Go back toward the light! If your wanting to talk SSB either of the two radios you asked about first would be a better bet. I love my grants but I never used a 139 so I cant say which is better.

you could not give me a radio tuned by copper never mind a galaxy..every radio from copper is way off frequency on ssb..their tune and peak is bullshit..save your money and buy the grant or 139 i would rather the grant only because of the age of the 139 both good radios either way

What makes them better than the 959?

A 959 is a nice radio. But it has one major failing - if you can call it that. They takes some time for them warm up enough so that they don't drift off freq on SSB mode. If you can live with that; then you will be OK. The other radios mentioned are quite stable on SSB and drift so very little. Excellent receive too. The receive on the 959 has pretty nice receive too. If you go with the 959; then be sure they give it a 'full alignment'; not a 'peak and tune'. Galaxy radios often need full alignments; not a crappy 'peak and tune'. Be specific when you ask - there is a big difference!

A 959 is a nice radio. But it has one major failing - if you can call it that. They takes some time for them warm up enough so that they don't drift off freq on SSB mode. If you can live with that; then you will be OK. The other radios mentioned are quite stable on SSB and drift so very little. Excellent receive too. The receive on the 959 has pretty nice receive too. If you go with the 959; then be sure they give it a 'full alignment'; not a 'peak and tune'. Galaxy radios often need full alignments; not a crappy 'peak and tune'. Be specific when you ask - there is a big difference!

Whats an estimate cost of what a alignment would cost? And should a local truck stop cb shack I have never used be able to do it successful? If I can get them both around the same price im going with the one that has warranty.
Also I started a thread on the 959 to get input from those who have them and ask a few questions

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.