• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Upgrading The Power Supply on my DX 2517

AK321

Oct 31, 2014
Murray KY.
Thinking of upgrading the power supply in my DX 2517, and finding a 5-600W internal amplifier to install.
Ideas and suggestions?

I'd say that's the right radio to start with. Had the same idea, using an amplifier with two MRF300 transistors. Just one problem. They need 50 Volts to work. Figured the biggest 50-Volt switching supply I can fit would just be enough. You can't overdrive that kind of amplifier, so reducing the radio drive to stay below the power supply's limit would be the plan. The radio would need a separate 12-Volt supply, but it would be small enough to tuck somewhere inside. And if this limits the output to 400 or 500 Watts, no big deal. Would probably sound better on sideband.

The tricky part is a heat sink big enough. Figured the fins would protrude upwards through the cabinet top. Putting it on the rear panel, like the factory high-power RCI base radios wouldn't work. Too small. Naturally, the heat sink fins sticking out through the top of the cabinet would probably need a fan or three.

Now all it needs is a big bolt through its neck.

You mean the rectangular hole along the side just above the antenna socket?

That one is for a relay that provides an antenna A/B switch. Don't see it on models sold in the USA, but I stumbled across an older one that had the antenna select board. And a bum relay.

Not in the tall mobile like aluminum, but beside it to the right in the steel panel. I saw a video where someone had one mounted there. I don't know what radio and if it was factory or not.

Screenshot_20240128-032837.png

Last edited:
Reactions: AudioShockwav
That cut out in the rear right hand corner of the chassis looks just like the cut out in the derelict RCI2970 I have. It had a 6 pin Molex connector in it for the power cable. I removed that connector due to the pins not making good contact between the cable connector and chassis connector. I replaced it with a heavier connector used for RC aircraft. Works much better now.

If I could completely eliminate the "Boxcar" modulation pattern it would be a keeper. Now it is way back on the back burner.

David
Screenshot_20240128-100951~2.png

I think I have seen the same youtube vid, not the power connector hole it's the one to the side of the mobile chassis.

Jeff

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.