• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VHF questions....Please Help!

shawn

Jun 1, 2008
I live in S. Florida and own several commercial fishing vessels. I live on the 10th floor of an 11 story condo near the beach. I would like to build a VHF home base to communicate with the fleet.

I will need approximately 25-30 miles range.

I do not have permission to place an antenna on the roof or permanently extruding from the building, so anything I do will have to be removable an unobtrusive. I can probably extend a small antenna a few feet from the building when it is in use.

1. Am I going to have too much interferance with the building?

2. What do I need???

Receiver, Transceiver, Antenna, Power Supply, Amp, etc.

Thanks.

10 floors up = no problem to get 25-30 mile range. I don't see how you're going to interfere with much if you keep the power levels reasonable. (25 watts). Heck, you'll probably get 25-30 miles that altitude with only 10 watts. All you really need is a small power supply (5 amp supply should do it) a VHF marine radio, and an antenna and coax. You can build yourself a vertical dipole with some wire, coffe cans, whatever if you want, which will work great. Stand it up in by the window by the wall toward the ocean and you're good to go. If you don't want to make it yourself, you can buy a vhf/marine 1/2 wave antenna (they're not very tall) and figure out a way to mount is somewhere inside. You could attach it to the inside wall, make a stand for it with a tripod, etc....

VHF ANTENNA

Shawn: Do you have a balcony that faces the ocean? How far from the coast? Any other structures in your view to the directions your trying to communucate through.
Mol, is correct at that height 30 miles at 25 watts should not be a huge problem. The line of site you will have if your facing the direction your trying to communicate to should be a big help.
The balcony and a 1/2 or 5/8th's GP would be a big plus and keeping a good quality feedline short from rig to antenna a plus. A 1/4 wave homemade GP is pretty small and would not present a eyesore or draw much attention mounted on a hand rail or standing on a short tripod on a balcony or even near a window facing the water. A mag mount type antenna and a big file cabinet or metal desk would do a decent job under the right conditions.
Good luck
All the Best
BJ

I think I would suggest that you find a commercial shop near you that deals in marine radios. Tell them what you have in mind, and listen carefully to what they tell you. Is what you want to do possible? Sure, with a few of the 'normal' "if's" and"but's" thrown in. The biggest one being that what you are wanting is called a 'shore station', and does have some restrictions. Not being familiar with marine radios and their rules, I'd have to say that you should find out what they are before starting.
As already said, that 20-30 mile range shouldn't be too much of'a biggy at the height you're talking about. Considering how things usually go, you might figure on having/causing some interference to others in your building. Maybe not, but don't count on it...
- 'Doc

First thing you'll need is a license to install and operate a Marine radio. Since you own the fishing boats you want to talk with, this shouldn't be a big obstacle.

http://www.scc-ares-races.org/FCCpartstitles.html

This is a link to ALL of the "parts" of the Federal rules about radio operating and licensing. Pay particular attention to Part 2 (General Rules) and Part 80 (Marine Radio).

Now, if you just want to "communicate with the fleet" on CB, no license is required. Just read and heed Part 95 as it applies to Citizens' Band rules.

If your balcony faces the ocean then try this antenna,

http://www.arrowantennas.com/arrowii.html

They will costum build the antenna for the band you need.

156 mhz - 158 mhz

So just tell them you want the center frequency to be 157 mhz

You should be able to cover all the marine band with that

Just tell them your wanting the antenna for the marine VHF frequencies, they will know what to do.

For $55 bucks you cant go wrong.

Thanks for the advise. I appreciate it greatly. The balcony does face the ocean and is about 300 yds from shore and there are a few buildings. I don't know how to post pictures or I would.

I don't know how to post pictures or I would.

When you reply, don't use the "quick reply" box...instead hit the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom. One of the buttons in the edit box is for uploading pictures.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.