• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

was 12oclock,now 1o thirty..

Splash1

Jun 11, 2006
when first got the radio clarifier was dead on freq at 12oclock ..now a year or so later to tune everyone in i have to move the clarifier to 10thirty..does this mean my unlocked clarifier isnt tracking correctly....

Not necessarily.
It means that it might need aligning. You might consider taking it to a tech and and getting it aligned.

It might be a change in the ambient air temperature (most likely). Whenever there is a fair change in the temperature, some radios more than others will drift because they are more susceptible to heat and cold. Galaxy and Ranger radios are notorious for doing this. Cobras and Magnums are not so affected as much. All radio are affected; just some brands more than others. It is because of the design of the circuit and the lack of quality crystals used in manufacturing.

I align radios as a hobby. I have seen this often with the radio brands described. I own and use a Galaxy, and have a Ranger too. Try to keep the room that your radios are in in a comfortable temperature range. There isn't much that can be done other than that.

Robb..its a ranger radio 2970n2 . would tunning someone in with the freq knob instead of the clarifier knob correct the problem for now if it is out of line ?

Sure . . . That is what having the unlocked clarifier is best suited for. I unlock the clarifier in every radio I own and use for just that purpose.

If the radio has significant changes; then some part values are changing. As radios get older, this is expected to happen (usually the capacitors change value more than any other parts). Time to get it aligned. And if necessary; get the clarifier unlocked at the same time. The tech should be able to do that with little difficulty.

Robb..misunderstanding here. the clarifier is unlocked.what i was thinkin was to turn the clarifier to noon then tune people in with the last digit of the freq knob.

Don't bother with the freq display as being accurate. I have seen a few RCI radios that don't display freq correctly. I talked to the tech at Galaxy/RCI and they insisted that my method for alignment was wrong - especially in the 2950 and 2970's. My method was by the book; they just shift freq display for no apparent reason. I also have a 2995DX, but it is still correct. Don't know if it will stay that way in six years - though.

Few people run radios that are spot on freq; unless they are on a Ham radio - those are mostly correct. Just tune in to the voice and have at it.

Hope I understood the nature of your question correctly . . .

Robb..i was thinkin since the clarifier is now on 10thirty to hear someone right, my tx would now be wrong to the person im talking to and maybe the tx n rx arnt tracking together..

Find out first. Talk to a local and see if you are TX'ing the same place you hear him correctly.
If the TX and RX aren't the same; then it is time to get it aligned.
No doubt about that one.

Then have someone re-align the radio for you, that is the best thing to do if you do not have a service manual and test equipment
It should be very close to dead on at 12:00 after the radio has warmed up for a few min to stabilize.

jeff

There is a pot near the front middle of the radio labelled tx frequency. Turn that to line up ur tx and rx according to signal reports on usb and lsb from someone with a good ear. I run my n2 unlocked at one o clock also. With the radio unlocked you can use either the vfo or clarifier. They both do the same thing. I never figured out how to center the clarifier, sorry.

could it be that the other radios are off not yours. also i ghad a 2970
old style with unlocked clarifier. it was off a little till warmed up .especially
temps under 60 or so.personally for those radio i like a LOCKED clarifer
then just use the 6th digit [same as unlocking the clarifer] plus it stays stable
in cold or hot. just my experiences with a 2970 and 3 2950s

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.