• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WAS

novakor

Apr 5, 2005
Reno,Nevada
Besides working all states how would one obtain "worked all states" award.Do you need paper QSL per state? And does it matter what band,do all bands and modes count. Or is there WAS per band 10m 12m and so on ? Do you need to be a ARRL member? TIA

73,Stu

Six meters isn't too practical where I live. Not necessarily because of propagation, but because of all the 'other' stuff that uses either 50 Mhz of something close to it, such as the 'Direct TV' company here, and there are others. You haven't lived until you get complaints like that :). (Something to do with their 'down-link' arrangement.)
Ought'a be interesting though.
There are gobs of WAS certifications, not just with the ARRL. Of course, if you qualify for one of those, you also qualify for the ARRL certificate. I'm not sure if it's still available, but a Canadian award called the "2/80" used to be popular, work all Canadian provinces on 80 meters.
Last I knew, a QSL card 'in-hand' was required for a confirmed contact. No idea if that's still true. Should be, but who knows now.
Have fun! That's the whole idea. Never count the co$t of an award till after you get it!!
- 'Doc

"Brag Tape"
Geratol - 1172: +5 others (at least 1 mobile)
HHH - 424
3905CC - 80M-1486: 40M-1029
"2/80" - 121

I’ve worked all states on all bands combined, on 50 MHz I have 36 states since 1996. I just keep track of my grid squares on ALL bands for personal curiosity, I don’t get on a whole lot though.

Hate to say it, but I don't think I've got an ARRL WAS. Did some checking of records (digging through all that (most of) that stuff in the garage) and couldn't find any ARRL certificates except for a WAC. That one is almost 'easy' if you've got any kind of antenna and answer a foreign call sign. 'They' will flood the QSL 'buro's wanting your card!
Beetle, you've got me beat by at least one WAS, and several years, didn't start till 1966. (If I had known you were ~that~ old, I'd'a been much more respectful, you old fart. ;))
- 'Doc

(Wheezy Voice ON). That's ok, sonny. Me an' ol' Sammy Morse was a great pair, yessiree Bob. Or yessiree 'Doc ... whatever. Time for my meds! (\Wheezy Voice).

Forced me to check my WAC certificate -- #538 (THREE digits!) from June 7, 1962. Working Africa from Vegas was always difficult until I discovered the joy of Long Path!

Incidentally, at least "back then", WAC wasn't an ARRL award - and I don't think it is today. It's actually awarded by the IARU. They're headquartered at ARRL HQ, but it's a completely different organization.

Remember the old CHC - the "Certificate Hunters Club"? Somebody discovered that there are hundreds, maybe thousands, of ham radio awards and compiled the information about how to qualify for them in the "CHC Guide", which I still have. Somewhere. :D

Oh, and yes, there was a certificate awarded for becoming a member of the Certificate Hunters Club"!

I'm working on it Stu.
I still need Alaska and North Dakota for general WAS and most of the individual band confirmations are filling out well on LOTW.
Now I understand the Alaska problems with the apparent RF black-hole up there, but, I'm beginning to think there are not any active hams in North Dakota.

Hey Stu,
When I "WAS" back in the 70's, I just made my own Certificate..lol.
But of course that was just the 11 meter band, not much to brag about there hu!

Any way, good job you guys on Ducie Is.

I'm working on it Stu.
I still need Alaska and North Dakota for general WAS and most of the individual band confirmations are filling out well on LOTW.
Now I understand the Alaska problems with the apparent RF black-hole up there, but, I'm beginning to think there are not any active hams in North Dakota.

Capiii good luck on general WAS. I'm well on my way........from Nevada i already have N.D. and Alaska. As far as the RF black hole theory maybe it has something to do with HAARP:)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.