• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

well i am finally ready to try ham radio

What do you need to do?

Memorize the answers to a lot of questions and pass the test.

Go to qrz.com and take the practice tests and see what you know and dont know, or hamtest on line. Get a study manual example w5yc<on internet>, and study, and I presume others will jump in.
Put in hamclubs and your hometown in search to find out when the clubs are giving the test also..a nice goal to study for..

DOCTOR/795

For the moment just study and get through the test....and dont just take the Tech test,study up and try the general and higher tests as well..There is nothing that says you have to just take one class test and stop...

I have a general class ticket and the test for that class wasn't hard at all...I went expecting brain cramps when I took my general test but once I settled in taking the test I flew through it....

Good luck !!

... is there any other advise that would help?

i'm NOT flaming you, but,..... what are your goals?

if ya "just wanna talk" on fone , then memorizing the tests is the easy method.

if you are an electronic type, then perhaps general theory/part 97 regulation study is for you.

either way, you will end up with the same ticket.

what do i need to do to become a ham operator?

If you really want to learn and actually enjoy the hobby and all the aspects it has then please do not do what is suggested in the quote below.

What do you need to do?

Memorize the answers to a lot of questions and pass the test.

Sorry GLR but memorizing the answers to the questions may indeed get you a ticket but it certainly won't make you prepared for what the ticket permits. The term "being thrown to the wolves" comes to mind.

The best suggestion is to see if there is a local club that offers a course. You will actually learn the material as meet others just like yourself and be introduced to people who can actually answer any questions that you have.

Good luck, enjoy, it's lots of fun.

Hello Kurt,

Well get the ARRLs license manuels(Tech-Gen) and study all the material in each
book,that way you will know whats going on a bit,I also say find a local club and
find a good Elmer(a amateur who is a teacher/or is knowledgeable in all aspects of
radio,Just memorizing a bunch of answers and questions is very bad, almost anyone
can pass that way but LEARNING the Theory /R&Rs /Operating... ,answering Route
questions is like shooting fish in a barrel.It may take longer this way but in the end you
will be glad you learned what all those questions really Mean.I learned from the ground
up and still learning ,my Elmers were the greatest- all SKs now-Both were BC Engineers/
Professors of Electronics/Math and Physics.I would also suggest you learn the Morse
code,If you want to work Big DX-Iam 99%cw.The ARRL study Guides are excellent,
Good Luck Kurt, I hope to have a QSO with you soon.73/44s/DX

Paul K8PG

Last edited:
what do i need to do to become a ham operator?

Get on 75 meters and curse up a storm during the nets.

Get on 20 meters and jam/interfere with Dx stations.

Get on 40 meters, run a kilowatt to talk to your buddy every night and create so much QRM that everyone else is pushed up into the BC portion of the band.

Sort of like 11 meters, but you have to have a license to be an A-hole worldwide.

With that said visit
RadioExam.org Amateur Radio Exam Menu
Look at section #2
The questions and answers are directly off the exam question pool. They are word for word what will be on your exam.

That will give you an idea of what you need to study for your exam. As mentioned before this is not the preferred method of learning by memorizing. This just gives you an idea of what sections of the exam you need to study for. Either way you go the end result is you will have your ticket.

Sorry GLR but memorizing the answers to the questions may indeed get you a ticket but it certainly won't make you prepared for what the ticket permits. The term "being thrown to the wolves" comes to mind.
It's not all bad.

I went that route and learned one hell of alot more after wards by doing than any book learning could do. Kind of like On The Job training.

I have found that figuring out how to simply use the many features of a modern ham rig is much more difficult than passing any test.

I passed the general test while suffering from a concussion and find using HRD to it's fullest much more difficult without one.

You can book learn all you want about the piano, the best way to do it is by touching the keys.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.