• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What 10 meter Radio ?

legal issues aside all these 10m rigs are a waste of money ...i often see rigs like the ts-430 for less than $250.
looking at it from this angle you can see the lack of value in a new 10m rig.and you will no doubt tune around on the rest of the hf spectrum and get bit by the bug to upgrade!

exactly correct;) don't waste your $$ on one of them.
legal (or not) they ARE junk.

just HOW is the average person,..... that just got his TECH ticket,.... going to ensure and maintain spectral purity?:confused:

and yes,........ i can tell just by listening when one of them is being used.:oops:

Back in the mid'90s I thought that a 10m radio would be the thing to have for some mobile fun during the forthcoming Cycle 23. I found an HR-2600 locally and used it for several years, even shipping it off to Uniden for repair when it developed a problem (that's beside the point). As it turned out, the fundamental flaw in its design was the use of a single filter for all modes--FM through CW. What seemed to happen was that an SSB or CW signal would be quite strong a couple of kHz below zero beat and would be audibly weaker when tuned in. My theory was that the SSB and CW BFO offset frequencies put those signals well into the skirt of the filter response for opposite sideband suppression that it made the rig difficult to use effectively. I now have an FT-100D for the mobile and am impatiently waiting for some solar activity.

Keep in mind that as a Technician licensee you have CW privileges in the General portions of 80, 40, and 15m as well as CW, data, and SSB privileges on 10m. My advice, like others, is to get a radio that covers those bands as well unless you have a very specific purpose for the radio, say a group of hams using 10m as a mobile communications medium.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.