• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what happend

wrong way

Dec 3, 2008
columbus ohio
my gen lee was 2w swing 50 which was running my 1x4 fat boy at 110w swing 750 now for some reason my dk is 1.25w same swing and is running my amp at 35w swing 750 any ideas on what might have happend and is the low dk a good thing if all the modulation still sounds good (it does) is somthing going wrong in my radio? I lost 1.5 watts on the high dk too... any advise or info would be appreciated...

um, 50 watts of swing into a 1 driving 4 configuration?

why on earth would you use a 1 driving 4 when your radio swings to 50 watts?

or, why would you drive a 1x4 with 50 PEP watts?

those two things just dont match up.

you either need a low powered radio and use the 1x4 or use a straight 4 pill amp with the 50 watt radio.

sounds to me like you drove the snot out of that amp until it couldnt take it anymore and something gave.
i have no idea what. hope you get some better answers here.
good luck,
LC

my gen lee was 2w swing 50 which was running my 1x4 fat boy at 110w swing 750 now for some reason my dk is 1.25w same swing and is running my amp at 35w swing 750 any ideas on what might have happend and is the low dk a good thing if all the modulation still sounds good (it does) is somthing going wrong in my radio? I lost 1.5 watts on the high dk too... any advise or info would be appreciated...
Well if your pep also dropped by %50 most likely there's an issue with your output transistors.

Blown final? don't know but it sounds like. The inherent risk of driving output finals to peak saturation is that they do have a higher risk of failure.

Open the radio, usually the speaker side and look to the rear of the chasis and see if there's any indication of overheating and possible black smoke marks.

35 to 750 still sounds good .
i would have thought it would be horribly overmodulated .
that may be my new thing to learn today .
but as curly said , "the day aint over yet" . hehehehe

um, 50 watts of swing into a 1 driving 4 configuration?

why on earth would you use a 1 driving 4 when your radio swings to 50 watts?

or, why would you drive a 1x4 with 50 PEP watts?

those two things just dont match up.

you either need a low powered radio and use the 1x4 or use a straight 4 pill amp with the 50 watt radio.

sounds to me like you drove the snot out of that amp until it couldnt take it anymore and something gave.
i have no idea what. hope you get some better answers here.
good luck,
LC

You actually get less output from a 1x4 driving it with a dual final radio. A single final radio will always drive an amp better than a dual final. You don't see people in keydown competitions using exports.....that is if they want a chance of winning.

Hey Booty ? You confused yet buddy ? :headbang I'll tell you dude , after using swing kits for as long as I can remember , this shit really messes with my head some times. Weather or not it's just bells and whistles , guys just like what they like , you could beat them senseless with baseball bats , but they still like what they like.

There was one tech around these parts a few years back , he used to say that other techs and radio operators made there own rules and that it didn't matter what was the best ways compared to the not so good ways of utilizing the best you could possibley get from your given radios and amplifiers.

One could ask themself this ? If I could utilize all my radio and amps power on a given frequancy , Would they do it ? Now you would think the answer to that question would be easy huh ? It's not for those that don't know the differance and only stick with what they know for the simple fact it works for them.

IM the same damned way more so then not. It's kind of like this , I can sell a swing kitted radio much easier then I could one that wasn't to the unknowing because they would rather have it that way. :) (Man ! I need to please the customer when it comes to the mighty greenbacks !)

Remember I said , trying to beat the facts into them , still don't work. Its' all those false flashy ass numbers that win over the truth everytime. :headbangCase in point. I have a Texas Star 250 and a Cobra 29 LTD Classic , The radio is swing kitted to about 2 to 20 pep into the TS 250 , IM getting about a 60 to 250 swing out of the TS 250 ...Nice right ? :glare:

Now I take the same set up with the proper scoped out tune into the TS 250 , so now IM looking at about 2 to 8 pep at 100% modulation and my numbers are now 60 to about 150 or so. (Keeping in mind that these are 2290s (80 x 2)

Alrighty then , 1.Which set up do you think would be easiest for me to sell ?
2. Which set up would sound the best and utilize all given power on the frequancy I was on and really not be wasted else where ?

In the not so honest world of cb radios and amps , The numbers usually win with a very large majority of operators. :( The truth does not matter to them (for the majority anyway) bells and whistles baby !! (y)

This guy here pretty much tells it the way it is. Lets Explode a Few CB Myths

With the information given, I'll hazzard a guess.

The high swing of the radio burnt the first stage of the amp.

The high swing of the radio still has enough to drive the amp's final stage, not sure how it's getting there though. I guess the first stage could have melted to a short.

When you low key radios they won't be as stable as a 3-4 watt key. That is why I ALWAYS put in a variable key from 0 to max to keep it where I want.
If you are still swinging 750 that makes it a no brainer.............the amp is fine the radio's key needs to be readjusted.
Every radio I ever owned keys less when cold and normal when warm.
Why the dumbass export radio manufacturers don't put a variable control in every radio blows my mind.

Hey 190, isn't this the same problem you had with your (fatboy) amp?

Replace or bypass the (defective) variable control on the amp...

mine was a straight 4 pill with the variable on the amp there wro220. the variable on the amp went shit house. did all kinds of weird things.i bypassed the variable and the swr went really high. had the variable fixed and now i use it as a foot stool and run my eastcoast straight 4 pill non-variable amp. no more trouble.

Hey 190, isn't this the same problem you had with your (fatboy) amp?

Replace or bypass the (defective) variable control on the amp...

If the amp swings to the same power before and after the "problem".....level then it can't be the variable. The only way to run those amps as a final amp is with the variable wide open and radio adjusted for the proper dead key.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.