• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What was the stock mic for EFJ Messenger 223?

zygoma

Jan 21, 2010
Statesville, NC
Hiya, folks. I've recently picked up a couple of these as projects to refurbish. One came with an EFJ land mobile "coffin" mic that I know is wrong for this radio (it was just in the box, doesn't fit anyway). The other radio has had the original 5-pin locking jack changed (sloppily, I might add) to a typical 4-pin jack.
I want to return these to stock, Bond-o the extra holes (morons) and paint the covers, re-tube and re-cap as necessary, replace the line safety caps, etc. I know I've frequently seen Turner +2 base mics paired with these, but I assume those were add-ons? Was there a stock mic, either base or mobile style, that came with a new 223? And where, pray tell, was the mic clip *supposed* to be, if the stock mic was a mobile style?
My service monitor is gonna be shocked (excuse the pun) when I hook up an AM transmitter to it instead of FM. It may even have a diagnostic routine in it to display "Are you insane?" when I try....
Thanks,
-- Zygoma in NC --

The radios came with a Turner +2 style mic that was light brown in color.

Attachments

• Johnson Messenger Two Twenty Three.jpg
    Johnson Messenger Two Twenty Three.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 20
Thanks!

Thanks for that. Oddly, I found this forum a couple of pages ago, made a bunch of posts (mostly answers to questions), then browsed away without bookmarking it. So it took me awhile to find my way back and find your answer.
<sheesh> Sometimes I'm such a "maroon".
Now to find a stock-style 5-pin mic receptacle for the front panel. My Sam's just arrived along with a Mouser catalog, so I predict some hours of parts hunting.
Tnx agn es 73,
-- Zyg --:headbang

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.