• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

which is best combonation

radioreddz

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Nov 20, 2005
so. maryland
wanting to upgrade. considering two combos. the first one is using a cobra 200 with built in amp to drive a dave made 6 pill 600 using 6 2879's a 10k 22" shaft the second combo i thought of is a cobra 25nw or a 148nw using a dave made m400se thats 2 2290's driving 4 2879's and a 22" shaft 10k some thought from the experiance folk these combos pleazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz !!!!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Given those options, I'd forget running any external amp at all, and use the 200GTL by itself. The amps you mention are both splatter boxes from heck. The antenna is fine, and if tuned correctly, will give very good range and performance with the barefoot 200GTL. If I were to choose an amp to run with the 200, I'd probably go with the Texas Star DX500, or have one of the amp builders who frequent the board make you a good class AB1 box with filtering.

DTB Radio said:
Given those options, I'd forget running any external amp at all, and use the 200GTL by itself. The amps you mention are both splatter boxes from heck. The antenna is fine, and if tuned correctly, will give very good range and performance with the barefoot 200GTL. If I were to choose an amp to run with the 200, I'd probably go with the Texas Star DX500, or have one of the amp builders who frequent the board make you a good class AB1 box with filtering.

I have AGREE with DTB Radio. The Custom Amp builder I would use is on this board a lot.. Just let him know with radio and what kine of amp your looking for and IM sure he would help you.. Just remember both of thoes radio's have SSB. So I would think you would want a AB-1 amp.. Best of both World's.
Good Luck and Happy Christmas.
Tom

custom amp builder

i don't know who the amp bulider is but would love to talk with him to find out the best amp for the cobra 200. i don't always want to run the amp because i am looking for sumthin over 1000 watts. i do talk side band so i would love to have a radio that has its own built in amp so i don't always have to use the amp. :shock:

Re: custom amp builder

radioreddz said:
i don't know who the amp bulider is but would love to talk with him to find out the best amp for the cobra 200. i don't always want to run the amp because i am looking for sumthin over 1000 watts. i do talk side band so i would love to have a radio that has its own built in amp so i don't always have to use the amp. :shock:

pm sent

Shaty signal in shaty signal out.
My M-400 will only splatter if i turn the key way down,like one or two watts.But if the key is up around 4 its as clear as a bell.Get a 148(what i run with my D.M.)dont clip the mod limiter,maybe go with an xforce 2 driving 4 with ssb delay(can you get a D.M. with ssb delay?),keep the key around 4 watts and you will not splatter like some would say.But clip this and run your mike gain wide open with a really low dead key(the kind that most people think you have to run for an amp to be loud and proud)and you will be the splatter king!

Not familiar with Joker, so I can't comment on them. I AM, however, familiar with X-force. Just because it has a delay for SSB doesn't make it a good choice. Its still a splatter box, and even more so with the 2.x configuration. You can have a beautiful signal in, but if you overdrive either the driving transistors or the output transistors in the amp, your clean signal is gone. Saturation is bad at both audio and RF frequencies, but at RF frequencies, you will splatter across other radio service bands, not just a few extra channels. As for the M4, I've used them, and they have the same issues as any other class-C box.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.