• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Who uses the FM Band?

general

Jan 12, 2014
I have the FM Band in my radio...I check from time to time but rarely hear anyone on this band. Am i missing something???:whistle:

"THE FM Band"? For 27 MHz CB here in the states there is no "FM band". Europeans and other areas have authority to use FM legally.

OTOH, many radios have the ability to transmit FM. Problem there is that the transmitted signal is a bunch wider than an SSB signal would be

Reactions: 2 people
If you're a General class ham or higher in the US there is activity on FM on 10 meters generally above 29.510 Mhz. Activity and being able to hit 10m repeaters varies with band conditions of course. If you are in the US and are using a CB then FM is not a mode you can legally use here. If you're outside the US then someone from that country may be able to help.

Reactions: 1 person
I rarely use the FM band and only when I am in my vehicle. I usually listen to the Sirius XM satellite radio or the music I have on the USB stick I can plug in to the dash. :whistle:

Perhaps you meant the FM mode commonly found on most export radios? In that case no. I don't use it but I do use FM on 10m sometimes when the band is open and I use it all the time on 2m. FM is a mode of modulation just like AM or SSB is. It is not a different band rather but uses the same band of frequencies as any other mode. You can use AM, FM, USB, LSB, CW, PSK, RTTY, SSTV etc etc etc on any frequency.

Wouldbbe nice if they permitted FM on the 40 ch. But unless you have a frend that has fm mode itbis useless.

AM's quieter (I think)when conditions are quiet. Anytime you see one of our radio compatriots across the big pond talk on their sets while using FM they usually have their squelch turned up enough to cut the static noise out. The company I work for used to use a FM business radio/repeater system. The squelch was set by our resident radio tech/fix it guy.
However nowadays my company has switched to PTT cell phones with Trackit GPS capability in order for our dispatch to keep track of our fleet of mixer trucks.

When my favorite 50s, 60s, and 70s classic rock FM station changed over to hip hop, I stopped using FM.

AM's quieter (I think)when conditions are quiet. Anytime you see one of our radio compatriots across the big pond talk on their sets while using FM they usually have their squelch turned up enough to cut the static noise out. The company I work for used to use a FM business radio/repeater system. The squelch was set by our resident radio tech/fix it guy.
However nowadays my company has switched to PTT cell phones with Trackit GPS capability in order for our dispatch to keep track of our fleet of mixer trucks.

actually fm is quieter [if squelch is properly used] nice mode to use when theres 9 sunits
of dx . just go to fm set the squelch and its nice and quiet

actually fm is quieter [if squelch is properly used] nice mode to use when theres 9 sunits
of dx . just go to fm set the squelch and its nice and quiet

Yes they are. We usually have good repeater coverage up to 25 miles from the repeater. I don't think our Concord division uses repeaters though but while I was on a job on a little mountain I could talk and hear clearly the division's base radio 35 miles away whereas radio units just a few miles from the base had scratchy poor TX&RX. Must be a height issue.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.