• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilson Question

The only differents is the coax , 1000s use RG58 and 5000 magmounts use Mini 8 / 95X bigger coax for more power of course , I would have thought after 15 years or so they would have put the bigger stuff on the 1000 mounts as well , but no. The 1000s load can handle the power but anything over would burn the coax up. You can easily change the 58 to a bigger size on the mount by taking it apart and soldering new stuff on if need be.

I would think that at 27 Mhz, at the length that's common with most mobile antennas, and if the antenna is reasonably 'resonant', there is no measurable difference in the amount of losses experienced. I'm willing to bet that's true for ~any~ coax you substitute. With in reason, that holds true for any 'typical' power level. Still wanna change coax? Be my guest.
- 'Doc

changing the coax on a wilson antenna is not about the losses involved.
most on here know that the loss at less than 20 feet at 27mhz is not noticable.

the reason to change the coax to LMR240 is because of the superior shielding involved.

the cheap coax that came with my wilson 1000 had gaps all over the braid, and i was getting noise from the vehicle.

replaced the coax with LMR240 and the problems went away.
double shielding does it again.

just my findings,
loosecannon

loosecannon said:

the reason to change the coax to LMR240 is because of the superior shielding involved.

the cheap coax that came with my wilson 1000 had gaps all over the braid, and i was getting noise from the vehicle.

just my findings,
loosecannon
ahh finally someone has found the same findingas as me. i replaced coax on my friends wilson 1k with it stopped almost all rf he was getting with his setup.

I think this would depend on what rf noise you were referring too ?? If you have engine noise ,changing the coax might help out some , but it IS NOT a sure cure for getting rid of alternator and other BS related to the vehicals engine concerning the antenna. Wow !! if LMR is really that good , it might be worth me ripping my headliner down and going for it . NOT

loosecannon said:

just my findings,
loosecannon

You have got to be kidding????????? Noise from the vehicle in the radio that's getting through 95% shield RG 58? :roll:
You are either getting noise from the antenna itself or in the DC + line.
LMR 240 can handle 1200 watts RMS and is the size of Mini 8 but unless you are running a 6 or 8 pill, what a waste of time and money.
Let's try to keep the big fish stories in the Bars where they belong.
Doncha think that when you pulled the outer covering off the coax to inspect it....you might have caused the gaps by doing so........DUHHHHHH!!!

just my findings,
loosecannon

psycho, thats why i put that at the end.
i guess it did sound a bit like i was trying to assert that changing your coax will solve noise problems; i certainly dont know enough to prove that, its just what happened to me.
im sure we could discuss all of the possible reasons that the noise "went away" (i should clarify; it went from S7 down to about S1)
until the cows blah, blah, blah...
i simply dont care.
i dont even own that vehicle anymore.LOL

just so everyone can unclench;
it was a ford taurus and i had the infamous fuel pump noise.
since the coax ran right along the top of the gas tank, i thought changing it might help. it sure seemed to.
when one is experiencing a very annoying noise problem, one tends to try crazy things when the normal things are not working.
again, just my findings,
loosecannon

Doncha think that when you pulled the outer covering off the coax to inspect it....you might have caused the gaps by doing so........DUHHHHHH!!!
its ok psycho, im sure you'll learn how to work with coax cable someday.
maybe you could take an electronics course at the local community college.
or get a job with the cable company.
loosecannon

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.