• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Workman hamstick or Hustler antanna

binrat

WDX Club Coordinator
Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
The Great White north
Which would work better for an install on a pick up? I have a chance to grab a Hustler with 80, 20, 10 coils at slightly more than Workman hamsticks. The radio is a TS 480 HX BTW.

I have no experience with the Hustler coils but I ran a 17 meter HamStick and it worked well. They are not the best antenna and long as you stay above 20 meters they are fairly efficient.

I've used both and can't say I was able to tell the difference in mobile performance. I really don't know how to compare them in that way. They both worked and I made contacts while mobile and I used a 3/8 mount on the rear bumper of a Ford Ranger.

You can change out the resonators on the hustler to change bands or use their adapter to make the antenna multi-band. It was a little top heavy with more that two resonators and had to be guyed. The sticks are easier to mount and lighter.

So the advantages and disadvantages of both are really a matter of mount, weight and whether or not you want to operate on several bands without having to change out the antenna every time you switch bands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have run both and the performance is the same..my current setup are hamsticks "40,20,17,15,12" and a 102 for 10. All are mounted on the bed rails to a remote switch box .I use an ardunio to read the band data and switch to appropriate antenna for instant band switching . Although 40 is around 10% effective I easily talk on the rotten apples on my morning commute. .20 and above all work well ..

Last edited:
I have run both and the performance is the same..my current setup are hamsticks "40,20,17,15,12" and a 102 for 10. All are mounted on the bed rails to a remote switch box .I use an ardunio to read the band data and switch to appropriate antenna for instant band switching . Although 40 is around 10% effective I easily talk on the rotten apples on my morning commute. .20 and above all work well ..

I'd like to see a picture of your porcupine-mobile please.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.