• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu 817

Happy_Hamer is your man. I think that's his favorite radio. I'm sure he'll show up here soon...

It is a great radio, I am almost always on it running 5 watts, if you can run a decent hf antenna on the plane you should do great! I am usually out every weekend with a portable set up making contacts. There is an antenna for airplanes also, I am not sure if it is for amateur use let me get the link and I will read up on it.

http://www.miracleantenna.com/

It is a great radio, I am almost always on it running 5 watts, if you can run a decent hf antenna on the plane you should do great! I am usually out every weekend with a portable set up making contacts. There is an antenna for airplanes also, I am not sure if it is for amateur use let me get the link and I will read up on it.

Miracle Antenna - Welcome!

Yeah, I figured at 5,000 ft I wouldn't need a lot of power, and the radio is small enough that it will fit just right in my plane.

Todd N9OGL

Yes
Best little 2 way in your flight bag
You can open them up to xmit on many frequencys and the the TXC0 Stabilizer it is even NTIA compliant on HF bands e.g. for Civil Air patrol the vhf portion is excellent as well
I have had mine for 2 years now and have lent it out to several hams for remote mountain top QRP.

Ialso have this on my motorcycle and I hae a desk installaton with amplifiers up to 1400 watts
I love this radio and the Pacific 12 PAC-12 antenna

if you have any questions pm me and we can chat on the phone
James

Does anyone know about the Yaesu 817? I was thinking of putting on in my airplane.

Todd N9OGL

The question I have is, will it transmit in the aircraft band, because what i've read it can't, but they could be wrong... any ideas

Todd N9OGL

NO AM BOARD IN RADIO

No Air Band TX it does not have the circuitry :thumbdown:
Ideas, :unsure: Build one like the 220mhz
The KA7OEI FT-817 page
It would be fun to turn on the airport lights...:blink:

Well if your going to use it in your airplane I suggest an unmodified handheld SP-200 NAV/COM for $279 OR the JHP-520 NAV/COM Transceiver for $249 is not unreasonable at all... plus you get features specific to flying an airplane... I certainly would not get in an aircraft with someone who modified a HAM :eek: radio then transmitted illegally on a band that the radio was/is not certified for... :unsure: bandwidth spacing is very important to stay in your frequency a modified Ham radio unless completely realigned usually does not perform safely and isn't safety not saving a few bucks more important...

I will also say that I have taken many TK-730G radios and modified them for HAM usage...already narrow bandwidth and ntia complaiant... but again they do not perform as well as a Ham radio on the Ham bands...

another suggestion not ham related but...for $149 this Jules Jurgensen
Aviator Analog Digital Chronograph 7996SS is a bargain
Jules Jurgensen 7996ss from TopFlight Watches: Aviator Flight Computer Watch Digital Analog, Steel Bracelet

The question I have is, will it transmit in the aircraft band, because what i've read it can't, but they could be wrong... any ideas

Todd N9OGL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.