• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu 897 beacon feature

KJ4VRQ

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Sep 9, 2013
Has anyone else used this feature on the yaesu 897?

I have been considering buying a htx 10 radio and an ID keyed but then realized my HF radio came with this beacon feature?

I tried it out for a little while on 10 meters just transmitting my call every 10 seconds and it was working just fine. The only thing I noticed was the fan comes on every time it transmits.

Was just wondering if this was ok to leave on for an hour or so at a time?

Reactions: 1 person

How long do you leave it on? Just makes me nervous because it's my nicest rig...

why bother? I hear that there already is a Ga beacon on .425:blink:

seriously,..... I agree with your concerns about running it unattended under automatic control, it is legal, but,...... is it really worth it?

there are plenty of beacons/PROPnets/WSPRnets/ect.

I'm running it because I'm interested in maintaining a beacon.......

I would like to eventually get a cheaper radio but until I do I was just wondering if it wouldn't hurt the radio under automatic control. The only thing that bothers me is that the fan comes on every time it keys up. I guess it does that anyway when I am talking to someone on it but I will probably just run it when I am around and not leave it on unattended.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.