• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu and palomar question

1iwilly

Dec 7, 2008
hello, i have a Palomar 300A that I've been using with my Cobra 2k I have the input of the amp tune to 1.0 SWR between radio and amp everything working 100%
i just bought a Yaesu ft101-e i know I have to put the amp on low power so the 2 driver tubes are not active will i need to check the input again with the Yaesu i was told there is a trimmer for low power mode also ???

I predict you'll smash the 300A with this setup. Maybe not the first day, or the first week, but sooner than necessary.

The Low-side (only) input-matching trimmer cap is mounted on the rear of the High/Low switch.

The one soldered beneath the driver tubes is the High-side only input match trimmer.

FT-101 radios are not all created equal. Not 45-50 years down the road, anyway. A radio that busts a gut to swing 90 Watts may not cause trouble right away. A radio that was hot-rodded or has an open screen resistor on the driver tube could drive 150 or 160 Watt peaks in to the 300A. Would not be healthy. Isn't healthy for the radio, either. Tends to wear out driver tubes as well as finals.

Just don't try to use any band other than 11 meters, or 10 meters if that's what the input is tuned for. The band selector doesn't take the 10-meter input circuits out of line when a lower band is selected. It only affects the output sides of the tubes. Input SWR will be sky-high on any other band.

The band selector was no more than a fig leaf over the private parts in the first place. We adopted the habit of bypassing it, just to reduce nuisance breakdowns.

Those two pieces may play well together, but I'm not optimistic.

thanks before i attempt it I'll go thru the radio to make sure it's not hacked for power or that is doing outrageous pep

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.