• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-2500 Amp? Thoughts?

"Uses the 6KD6 Sweep tubes". That says it all. Stay very far away. FT2100 with 2 572b's is the better choice.
Rich

you mean fldx2500 or what we called a floosie, ft's are tranceivers,
i had one many years ago with the tank tap moved for 27mhz, it worked ok compared to a cb sweep tube amp,
i don't recall it having a tuned input ( i could be wrong ) as i used an atu between radio and amp.

edit fl2500 fldx was the 2000

Bob is correct and I myself have a mint like new FL-2100B with the 2 572B tubes and it is an outsanding amplifier and very durrable and reliable and has input tuning. Most of the older amplifiers did not have the input tuning so an internal tuner or outboard tuner was needed inbetween the radio and amplifier. Dentrons were also a hit and miss with this issue. Some had an input tuning and some or most did not. If you can find a 2100B I highly recommend that amplifier over the 6kd6 nightmare ;)

ROBB, if it is sweep tube, run the other way.

A heath kit SB 200 uses a pair of 572B, it will also work with the Chinese manufactured 572B's with no issues.

You can find them for $300 to $400 or more depending on upgrades, new filter caps, soft start etc etc.

The SB 200 will work the WARC bands. It does need the tuned input reworked a little bit to make today's transceivers happy as this amp was designed back when there was real radios ( glow in the dark). Information is available on the net even for component values to rework the tuned input.

I have had both the FL2100B and the SB-200, The FL2100B has to have some mods done to make it stable, the cut off bias circuit as designed is not so good with today's high gain Chinese tubes, the SB-200 much better design.

The FL2100B does not monitor grid current, a design flaw IMO, the SB200 does monitor all functions.

It will give you 500 to 700+ watts out depending on the bands with about 85 watts of drive. This is using 220vac but it will work on 110vac with a slight decrease in output. Can not beat those old heathkits if they are used correctly and not abused.

Last edited:
I will agree with everyone else also STAY AWAY those tubes are a premium to buy "when" you will need them... yes it is a yaesu, but runs the sweep tubes.......

Keep your eyes peeled for a Dentron or Heath as other said the 572's are a bit more cost effective, as they do not make the 6kd6 tubes any more..

Also look for auctions with a return guarantee lots of junk being sold on Fleebay:bdh:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.