• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

YAESU FT-920

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
I was wondering what your thoughts are on these rigs. I have a FT-990 I was thinking about selling to get a FT-920. Would this be worth doing or is this FT-990 a better radio eventhough it doesnt have 6 meters like the FT-920? I dont personally know anyone whos even ran one so I was hoping for info and ideas here. Thanks...... Tony

Tony,
Both are great rigs. Infact someday i would like to add an ft-990 to my arsenal as my dedicated HF rig,but for now my ic-761 is hard to beat. Anyway back to your ?.......until you upgrade to general your band plan is limited . The ft-920 would give you 10m as well as 6 meter with 100 watts. And believe me 6m is alot of fun and since were approaching sporadic E season i really believe you would be very happy with ft-920.
Good Luck

The 990 is a great radio, I wouldnt trade down, not saying the 920 is bad, the 990 has alot of nice features for HF

Yeah I do love this 990 but I seen that 920 had the 6 meters and it looks to be dual watch aswell. What are these 920 going for or whats a fair price on them? I kind of like the display on the 920 a little beter but as I said I love this 990 very reliable and in great shape. It was just a thought I was having but as I see its a tough call here.

Tony i like both of these radios and really dont think the ft-920 would be a trade down. You would gain 6 meters along with DSP. Inrad also offers a 2.8 khz filter. Inrad also has a filter switch board that allows you to use one filter or two in cascade ....way cool. Pair ft-920 with yaesu MD-100 mic and you have a great radio.
Good luck

Like I said I love this dang 990 but that 920 has a little more to offer its a hard choice to make I know I can sell this 990 to a friend now for 800.00 but wasnt sure what I wanted to do and needed to ask these questions about these FT-920. I originally was thinking about selling this FT-990 to get another FT-450 and that 920 caught my eye.

I have owned a 920 since 2001 and I must say that it is a very good radio but if you plan on doing any AM work I suggest that you get an AM filter otherwise you will be listening to about 30 kc,s at once without it.The SSB filter is adequate for everyday stuff but if you are going to do any contesting get a tighter filter from Inrad and for all the 920 users there is another bank of options available on the menu .
With the radio off, press (step) and (lock) under VFO A and hold these two keys in while you turn the radio on.Now release the two keys.
Enter the following password: 0761161,then press (ENT).
Press (menu),rotate VFO B through the "U" settings till you get to the "F" menu (F-01 F-35).
These look like are a service tech menu, use at your own risk.
Bob

I decided that if I were to seel this FT-990 I will get the FT-950, FT-2000 or the Kenwood TS-2000 but I have to research these and go from there Im leaning towards the FT-950 I love my 450 I bought last March (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.