• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8DR - How to Delete Channels from Memory?

a12

Feb 21, 2011
Hi All

I am fairly new to the amateur radio scene. After being into CB's many years ago, I have decided to join the amateur radio world. I am taking my Tech and maybe the Extra test next week.

I am the proud new owner of the VX-8DR w/GPS and have had it for about two weeks now. I wanted to start off with a portable unit and then maybe get a more powerful mobile/base radio down the road.

I have been learning all of the features on it, both through the manual as well as the Nifty manual. This is a great radio and very fun to use. The problem that I am having is that I can't seem to figure out how to delete some memory channels that I stored into the memory register (MR, not the other frequency banks). I can delete memories from the other banks, B1, B2, etc., but not from MR. I've checked the manual and also the nifty manual several times, but I can't seem to get it right. When I try to follow what I think are the steps to do this, I end up being asked to "Mask" the channel in memory, or store the freq. that I am trying to delete, into the next available memory slot. Must be missing a step or something. Can anyone let me know what I am doing incorrect?

I am thinking about getting the radio programming software, as it seems like a good interface and an easy way to store and organize frequencies.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

This is a great forum with lots of good info.

Thanks and 73's.

Last edited:

No Delete

a12,

Masking (hiding) is the cheap and dirty version of delete. Overwriting is another way to deal with unwanted channel data.

The cloning software (RT Systems) deletes by rewriting all the MR information each time you send it to the radio. In the program it is very much like a spread sheet by moving the information line by line then sending it all at once.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.