• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8GR with various Yaesu Mics

K6OZY

Apr 1, 2011
I have an odd situation here. When I purchased my VX-8GR at HRO, they told me I should buy the MH-57A4B even though the manual said to buy the MH-34B4B. Even though I thought it was wrong and looked dumb because the MH-57A4B is a straight connector and not an elbow, I purchased it anyway. It works fine in the radio. I then picked up an MH-34B4B because I wanted to see if it worked.

On the VX-8GR, I'm seeing two uniquely different things with these.

Using the MH-57A4B, the internal speaker and mic on the VX-8GR are disabled. Sound only comes out of the SpeakerMic.

Using the MH-34B4B, the internal speaker and mic and the speakermic are working simultaneously. RX audio comes out of both speakers, but if you key up on the external SpeakerMic, only the speakermic is active, and if you use the PTT on the radio itself, the internal mic is hot. I like this. But sometimes, I'd like to mute the internal speaker on the VX-8GR.

If I attach the MH-34B4B or the MH-34B4B to my VX-3, only the SpeakerMic works, not the internal speaker or mic simultaneously. Odd.

Can anyone else confirm that this is what the VX-8GR is supposed to do?

It doesn't really say in the manual if this is the intended behavior, but I'm guessing it probably is. It seems to make sense to me as well, because if I'm using the earpiece speaker/mic, I would never want the radio's internal speaker/mic to be active.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.