• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8R on a Motorcycle

Happy Camper

Bought the Yaesu VX-8DR and did the MARS/CAP mod so I can TX on the GMRS channels. Then, successfully paired the radio to my Schuberth C3 moto helmet w/ integrated Cardo Comm (Bluetooth) System. Everything seems to be working fine..despite BOTH Yaesu and Schuberth telling me that the radio WILL NOT pair. I'm disappointed with both Yaesu's and Schuberth's tech support people- who I emailed back-and-forth on the subject. Shouldn't they know if their products are compatible with other Bluetooth products in the industry? I realize there are many Bluetooth products and protocols..but I told BOTH manufacturers what the protocols of my equipment were and the BOTH said it will NOT work.
Anyway, it works and I'm a happy camper so that's all that matters.

BTW, for anyone that tries to pair their moto helmet and it's not working..try resetting your VX-8. Mine wouldn't work at first but after I reset it, it worked fine. Read that tip off of another radio forum..I think. Cheers Rob

Now, gotta bone up for my Tech license..having fun!

Moto setup

Yeah, I like that setup too. Except I think I'm going to keep my VX-8DR in my tank bag and run an antenna cable under the seat similarly with an antenna on the back as pictured. Anyone have any suggestions as to a good antenna on the back of the moto? I'm mainly going to use it for the GRMS channels since most of my cycling races (I'm a future moto ref) will be using those frequencies. I'm a newbie so I haven't a clue on what antenna will work best. I'll take some photos and post when I'm done. I have a Zumo 660 on the front of my bike which works well (talks to my phone and helmet via Bluetooth). If the bluetooth ever gives me problems during a race I'll have a speaker/mic as a backup and just clip the speaker/mic to a holster/clip on my jacket/vest pocket and run hard-wired. Oh, if I do that, any suggestions on a rubber duckie antenna if I do that? Or, is the antenna that came with the VX-8DR adequate? Thanks again for all your help. Cheers Rob

This is waaaay off topic, but I just want to brag a little and say that after 18 years of riding various Harleys as a daily commuter in L.A. traffic, I sold my street glide and am taking delivery of this tomorrow. Maybe I can figure out a way to get a radio on it, too:

vis_color_option_k1600gtl_royalblue_.jpg

That is one sweeeeeeeet bike. Good luck with it and let me know what you come up with when you start mounting radio stuff. Rob

Yeah, I like that setup too. Except I think I'm going to keep my VX-8DR in my tank bag and run an antenna cable under the seat similarly with an antenna on the back as pictured. Anyone have any suggestions as to a good antenna on the back of the moto? I'm mainly going to use it for the GRMS channels since most of my cycling races (I'm a future moto ref) will be using those frequencies. I'm a newbie so I haven't a clue on what antenna will work best. I'll take some photos and post when I'm done. I have a Zumo 660 on the front of my bike which works well (talks to my phone and helmet via Bluetooth). If the bluetooth ever gives me problems during a race I'll have a speaker/mic as a backup and just clip the speaker/mic to a holster/clip on my jacket/vest pocket and run hard-wired. Oh, if I do that, any suggestions on a rubber duckie antenna if I do that? Or, is the antenna that came with the VX-8DR adequate? Thanks again for all your help. Cheers Rob

I'd definitely recommend replacing the rubber duck antenna on the VX-8DR with something else. I'm currently using a whip antenna (I forget the manufacturer), and I performs much better than the rubber duck antenna that came with my HT.

Also, if you want to mount an antenna, you may want to check out the Motorcycling Amateur Radio Club site :

Welcome to MARC: The Motorcycling Amateur Radio Club

Their members have done a lot of testing of antennas and have even worked first hand with comet on the HP32 and making it rugged enough to stand up to a bike.

This is their main antenna page - MARC: Motorcycling Amateur Radio Club
Here is their list of the top 5 and their reasons behind it - Comet 146/446 Antennas.

The antenna thats currently on my bike is the HP32.

This is waaaay off topic, but I just want to brag a little and say that after 18 years of riding various Harleys as a daily commuter in L.A. traffic, I sold my street glide and am taking delivery of this tomorrow. Maybe I can figure out a way to get a radio on it, too:

Damn, thats a nice bike -- a BMW K1600? I do a lot of touring myself and its painful on the Yamaha FZ1. My next tour bike will definitely be a BMW.

Another helmet BT to check out is the Sena SMH10.

I've got a FTM-10SR that's just been waiting to get hooked up to my bike...

Another helmet BT to check out is the Sena SMH10.

I've got a FTM-10SR that's just been waiting to get hooked up to my bike...

Do you have any experience with the Sena SMH10? How well does it work on the bike?

Last edited:
Hello everybody,

It might not be the right place to post this but since some of you have the Yaesu FTM-10R and some of the topic is about antenna, i have to ask you if any of you have installed the Comet CA-2X4SR on their bike.

Here is my experience...

The reason i am asking is i have a Honda ST1300 with a FTM-10R and the Comet CA-2X4SR . The problem i get with this antenna is a very high SWR like 2.5:1 and depending if i use my Givi topbox i get 3:1 swr and above.

I just switched to a Comet SBB-5 and now the SWR is well within 1.2:1 on 2 meter and 70cm band. By the way, the Comet CA-2X4SR works great on my car and yes i did a lot of test like changing the coax and the mount. Even use the magnetic mount on the bike and still having a high swr reading.

From what i read, the Comet CA-2X4SR is 5/8 wave compare to the comet SBB-5 which is a 1/2 wave and a 1/2 wave seems to work better on our bike since its a NGP antenna.

The Comet web site does not mention anything about the type of wave lenght of the CA-2X4SR and this is a bit misleading.
Also, the MARC website recommend this antenna but i guess it all depend on which bike you will be installing it. The ST1300 does not have a lot of metal surface compare to a Goldwing.

So far i'm happy with my SBB-5 and i will be making a lot more test in the near future.

Oh, I should mention that I can only reliably transmit at 20 watts using the FTM-10R. When I crank it up to 50, my transmissions start to cut out. I'm guessing my alternator can't support that much power. 20 watts is more than enough to hit the local repeaters and I'm not sure I want 50 watts of power coming out of an antenna that's directly behind me.

Yeah - I'd guess. Now mind you I have a vintage 1971 BMW M/C and I believe the gross output of its anemic alternator is 180 watts, from the figures provided for the FTM-10R, it requires 117 watts to operate! One would do best to see the specs in their published manual for differing conditions, but I see now my VX-8DR is likely to be the only thing I can get away with strapping onto my old bike!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.