• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8R Volume

Codejockey

KF5CKB
Jul 21, 2009
www.armedtexan.com
Hello, I purchased this radio yesterday, and so far it's great except for one small issue. I can't really hear it. My vehicle is a Jeep with mud tires and soft top, so it's quite loud going down the interstate at 75MPH. I purchased all the goodies with it (GPS, hand mic, etc.). If I hold the handmic by my ear at 32 volume (max) i can hear it fine, but thats tiring. I had a similar problem with my CB (required for off-roading), until i put an external amp. speaker on the rollbar by my head. Can I do that with this radio using the ear jack in conjunction with the handheld mic?

Yeah, I have a Jeep, too...similar setup. Hearing radios is a pain. I mounted some speakers up on the roll bar just behind the driver's door so that the speakers are right in my ear.

The VX-8 has a standard stereo speaker out jack. You can mount a speaker somewhere like I did and still use the hand mic to TX. That's your best bet. I'll post a pic when I get home of where I mounted the speakers in my Jeep for my Icom 706 & CB.

Finally got a picture taken today. Two speakers, one for each radio, right by my ear:

moleculo-albums-mobile-station-picture1049-dsp-speakers-cb-ham.jpg

Are either of those speakers 12vdc powered? I was looking at one at Radio Shack that is powered (tried to find a link, but that model doesn't seem to be on their site). Anyway, it was $37.00, and I'm jsut wondering if it's worth the extra money for one that is amplified?

The both are powered. I had non-powered speakers there first but I couldn't hear them with the jeep top off. I kept turning it up so loud that I was blowing speakers. BTW, that Texas Star speaker pictured on the left is the LOUDEST mobile powered speaker I have ever found. Actually, I took the guts out of an SGC DSP mobile speaker (the speaker elements sucked) and put it into that Texas Star speaker. Now I have the world's loudest DSP mobile speaker :)

Seems you could also wire it into the vehiculars sound system. Less chance of a concussion...

Can you say, "tinnitus"?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.