• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu's FT-857D , FT-90

w2rsa

Jun 24, 2010
No. N.J
Both very clean and no issue's.
The 857D comes with the RT Systems disk, USB-62 cable, two hand mic's (31aj8 and 59aj8)
,manual, full length power cable, the separation kit and MARS mod. 600.00 shipped (firm)

The FT-90 was used at home solely for fldigi twice a month, I am the second owner.
This radio comes with the mic, radio and shortened power cord, Mars mod done as well
180.00 shipped.
I do have pics of both rigs that can be forwarded if requested

w2rsa@yahoo.com
201-805-9626

Reactions: Mongoose

Both very clean and no issue's.
The 857D comes with the RT Systems disk, USB-62 cable, two hand mic's (31aj8 and 59aj8)
,manual, full length power cable, the separation kit and MARS mod. 600.00 shipped (firm)

The FT-90 was used at home solely for fldigi twice a month, I am the second owner.
This radio comes with the mic, radio and shortened power cord, Mars mod done as well
180.00 shipped.
I do have pics of both rigs that can be forwarded if requested

w2rsa@yahoo.com
201-805-9626
What filters do you have installed in the 857D?

I learned the hard way - always use a big radio, one with adequate heat sink area for digital modes. The FT 90 would be hard pressed if used for digital modes for very long.

Most digital operators reduce power to 35 watts or so. Not so much because of heat but because it is just as effective. 35-50 watts of PSK is plenty and running full bore at 100 watts is considered being a hog on the frequency. Let's not even mention the KW guys pushing the audio into hard limiting.

Reactions: Road Squawker
What filters do you have installed in the 857D?

I learned the hard way - always use a big radio, one with adequate heat sink area for digital modes. The FT 90 would be hard pressed if used for digital modes for very long.

I havent added any filters to the 857D so whatever it came with is whats in it , as far as the FT-90 goes I will add that as hard pressed as digital is on a rig it was used for a quick check in on a local repeater via fldigi, QRP
( 5 watts for approximately 5 minutes twice a month and via the menu fan set for tx/auto,so if your unfamiliar with the FT-90 that means everytime you transmit and also when needed, not transmitting.) So that's about 10 minutes a month for 6 months at 5 watts, before that it was used at my camper (climate controlled year round on private land, not back and forth to the KOA ) until replaced with an FT-8900.
No DOA, both radio's have no issues. Not that I need to elaborate (but understanding most hams will haggle to the very end and some will even pick apart a for sale listing due to lack of more productive things to do with their time), these radio's have been replaced because I've upgraded my shack. The 857D was upgraded to the FTDX-1200, the FT-8900 was moved to camp, the FT-90 is up for sale because I purchased the FTM-100 to utilize the new digital repeater that was put in service here (I can always add the FT-90 to a go box if it doesnt sell, but I would prefer to sell it in order to keep the wife happy) ...
Again NO DOA, both pieces of gear operate within factory spec (excluding MARS, which in my case was used for FRS. Our RACES team does work with CERT and they use FRS)
Thanks for the opportunity to add the biography of the rigs, are you intrested in buying either of them ?

Most digital operators reduce power to 35 watts or so. Not so much because of heat but because it is just as effective. 35-50 watts of PSK is plenty and running full bore at 100 watts is considered being a hog on the frequency. Let's not even mention the KW guys pushing the audio into hard limiting.
Digital Modes on HF, The Digital Mode is Fully Modulated. It is either balls to the wall or nothing. That is how digital works.
Where as SSB Phone - is only fully modulated, part of the time, even less if you are using the ALC.
Think RTTY - why is there a switch on my amplifier for RTTY operation?
Because the amplifier would probably get hot and burn up if used for 5 or 10 minutes straight. Much the same as how my transceiver only puts out 25 watts AM, only because the carrier and other side band is a power hog.
SSB is just a more efficient use of power...

Digital Modes on HF, The Digital Mode is Fully Modulated. It is either balls to the wall or nothing. That is how digital works....

well,, the signal is either on or off, but,...... when it is "on" , there are different output (power) levels based on different tones, think MSFK 16 or DRM.

... my transceiver only puts out 25 watts AM, only because the carrier and other side band is a power hog..

is that on a Pave or a Ppeak reading meter?

... why is there a switch on my amplifier for RTTY operation?.

My amp doesn't have a switch and I use it daily on HF digital at QRO levels for EasyPal.

...SSB is just a more efficient use of power...

as compared to what?......... PK31?, JT65?, WSPR?, CW?

Digital Modes on HF, The Digital Mode is Fully Modulated. It is either balls to the wall or nothing. That is how digital works.
Where as SSB Phone - is only fully modulated, part of the time, even less if you are using the ALC.
Think RTTY - why is there a switch on my amplifier for RTTY operation?
Because the amplifier would probably get hot and burn up if used for 5 or 10 minutes straight. Much the same as how my transceiver only puts out 25 watts AM, only because the carrier and other side band is a power hog.
SSB is just a more efficient use of power...

Preaching to the choir on that one bud. Been into radio for over 35 years. Fully aware of DUTY CYCLE as it is called. Digital is not quite full duty cycle if you look at the actual modulation which consists of a complex waveform. The modulation is fully on sometimes but completely off at others during the same transmission. Imagine a pulsed square wave.Even have a little experience with full duty cycle AM and FM at power levels grossly exceeding what mere amateur operators are authorized. All legal too. BTW if your amp has an RTTY mode switch see what it really does. It may either lower the plate voltage or change the bias closer to class C. Some amps switch classes for CW and RTTY modes.

Reactions: Road Squawker

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.