• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Zero Five 5/8 wl 10m vertical anyone?

SR385

Mar 9, 2007
Anyone have or have seen a Zero Five 5/8 wl 10m vertical yet?

I decided to order one since they look real solid and I hadn't heard much from anyone about them.

I got the new 'ground plane' radial kit he's offering since I'm roof mounting it.

Will update when I get it here and have it installed.

ZeroFive Antennas

This is what the base/feed point looks like

20m58base.jpg

20m58base.jpg

Not shipped yet, he's backed up...he did warn me.

I'll update when it's on the air for sure.

Worked the first out of area stations on 10m yesterday after being licensed for two years....10 is finally opening up. Worked IN, OH, MI area yesterday which is nothing special, but it's the first signals that I've had that were strong enough to work.

10 has been open into EU as well on and off, but I've never confirmed the contacts yet.

I'm very curious how the 5/8 will compare to using my wire or the GAP Titan (which I'm convinced is a dummy load for 10m).

If your wire is a center-fed 10m dipole in the flat-top horizontal polarity I doubt you'll have quite as much luck with DX on the 5/8, unless you're talking local to mobiles or other vertically polarized bases.

You mentioned he offers a radials kit, if it were me I'd add an insulator to the guy wire at 1/4, 5/8, or 3/4 wave length down from the grounded base of the antenna to act as counterpoise radials and save $50.
I perused their website and it looks like a nicely built antenna.

Looking forward to hearing you on 10m!

I got it here now.

It is built like a tank Goes from 1 9/16" to 5/8" for the main radiator.

The 'ground plane' is an X of 5/8" or so tubing.

The hardware for the matching ring is very well done.

Each joint is slit and has stainless hose clamps for the assembly.

This is heavier than I'd expected, not too sure it will stand on fence top rail for masting too well.

I'm thinking that until I get a solid tripod up on the roof or small roof tower mount that I'm going to take a 3-4' stub of galvanized steel pipe and use four hose clamps to strap that to my plumbing vent pipe on the roof as the mast mount point.

The irony is, I'm so severely sunburned from having to do things outside this week with the sudden appearance of blazing sun, that I can't even get up on the roof to do this today. I'll have to be out of the sun for a good week now.

Construction quality is very good...will update once I get it in the air and try it out. It was a bit pricey compared to a Maco, but I think it's built a LOT heavier and I'm happy with the choice so far for sure.

If your wire is a center-fed 10m dipole in the flat-top horizontal polarity I doubt you'll have quite as much luck with DX on the 5/8, unless you're talking local to mobiles or other vertically polarized bases.

You mentioned he offers a radials kit, if it were me I'd add an insulator to the guy wire at 1/4, 5/8, or 3/4 wave length down from the grounded base of the antenna to act as counterpoise radials and save $50.
I perused their website and it looks like a nicely built antenna.

Looking forward to hearing you on 10m!

There is a mixed purpose for this vertical. I've got a GAP Titan now ground mounted that is pretty much a dummy load on 10m and a 300+ foot doublet that tunes on 10m.

This new antenna is intended to give me better local coverage so it's going up on the roof.

If I had realized how heavy this antenna was going to be, I would have skipped the ground radials and did exactly what you suggested....using guy lines for radial supports at the base.

I may wind up having to guy this thing just because of its weight anyway, but hadn't originally intended to do that.

I know it's a 'bother', but those guys can certainly be put to good usage. More or less just a matter of deciding what, if anything, you want to do with the,, sort of.
- 'Doc

At 21' roughly and the weight it is, I think I might be dumb not to guy this sucker too.

I guyed my GAP with just two lines and it's been 100% where other guys locally have had multiple issues with heavy gusts in storm bursts with theirs.

Have to resist that 'just get it up there' temptation heh.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.