• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Anytone at5555n II high swr on ssb , low swr on am and fm

My money would be with the driver/final bias setting. This will affect AM differently than it affects SSB. Insufficient bias current should result in harmonic frequencies hiding in the power output. The antenna is not tuned for harmonic frequencies and will reflect nearly all the power they contain. Pushes the reflected side of a SWR or wattmeter up even if the antenna is tuned perfectly at the desired (fundamental) operating frequency. AM mode is different. The carrier provides some of your operating bias.

The zero-signal bias current through the driver and final was traditionally measure by breaking the circuits at a test point of some sort. RCI has a trend of leaving out this feature for newer SSB radios. Not familiar with this one at all.

Just a thought.

Reactions: Pez
My suggestion would be to contact Scott's radios about sending it to him for a proper alignment and that may resolve all of your issues.

It sure sounds like someone has been in the service menu and screwed it up which is the reason qixiang is making the new radios without user ability to go in there.

Scott's is pretty good at straightening those out and has the right equipment to do so.

Thanks PEZ AND NOMADRADIO for clues/suggestions about my radio issues.

I will try the tone through the mic on ssb as per suggestions.

Nomadradio, I believe you are on the right track.

There are other issues with this radio that are popping up, those combined with the ssb issue are causing a serious reduction in hair and singe malt scotch .

I have done everything I am capable of doing given the fact that I have no serious bench test equipment or the knowledge to use such equipment and no one I know locally with the equipment to properly test this radio.

I have chalked the radio up to a learning experience and I’m looking forward to my brand new replacement radio . With all that being said I will list the other issues with this radio that have been popping up in the hopes it might help someone else out.

1) the ssb issue that we have been addressing.

Here are a a few examples of what has occurred as well.

Clipped audio intermittently. I checked the mic , the mic cable and plug , can’t seem to find anything abnormal .
I did play with the mic gain settings and it made no difference. Tuned my 991 to frequency and tx on the at5555 . Before anyone asks yes I did turn the rf gain way down on the 991 and only tx on the lowest stable pwr 2w setting on the 5555at.

Power fluctuates no matter what the pwr knob is set at . I have this radio hooked up to a capable power supply
If anyone is interested the power supply is a Alinco 32a switching power supply set to 13.8v . Also confirmed with external swr/ power meters.

I have changed out antennas and coax & re tuned with same results . Ditto for the swr meters ( I borrowed a couple from friends) however I still believe my. Brand new Surecom is pretty accurate.

All this has been done after hard resetting the radio and checking the factory settings and adjusting some settings off or lower, such as mic gain and pl .

I have no intentions of getting into the service menus even though I have found some references to some settings on the internet to play with , I feel it would be
Better to just leave them alone.

So thanks to everyone who offered me great suggestions and advice.

Cheers

My suggestion would be to contact Scott's radios about sending it to him for a proper alignment and that may resolve all of your issues.

It sure sounds like someone has been in the service menu and screwed it up which is the reason qixiang is making the new radios without user ability to go in there.

Scott's is pretty good at straightening those out and has the right equipment to do so.
Thank you ,
I might give him a try . I will definitely contact him about maybe doing a full setup on my new radio . Do you have an email address for Scott’s ?

I purchased it on eBay as a brand new “open box” radio with all accessories included, upon receiving the radio I took it out of the box and immediately noticed that the security labels on the sides of the radio were missing so that led me to believe that somebody had been inside the radio clipping the wires and doing the mod mod .
With screwdriver in hand I opened the radio and confirmed my suspicion. It had indeed been clipped and modded.
So return that radio and buy another one. Not butchered.
Mike

Straightening? hahahaha

Thank you ,
I might give him a try . I will definitely contact him about maybe doing a full setup on my new radio . Do you have an email address for Scott’s ?
Do you run the radio @ full output on SSB?

If so, turn the variable Power down and see if that changes the SWR meter reading. If AM is showing a SWR of 1.0, then try turning SSB output down to see if you can get your SWR to show 1.0~1.1 in SSB mode.

Reactions: Geoexplorer69
Do you run the radio @ full output on SSB?

If so, turn the variable Power down and see if that changes the SWR meter reading. If AM is showing a SWR of 1.0, then try turning SSB output down to see if you can get your SWR to show 1.0~1.1 in SSB mode.
I have done that. It doesn’t seem to work. Trust me I’m completely at a loss as to why . Thank you for your input.

So return that radio and buy another one. Not butchered.
Mike
Unfortunately it came with a no return or refund. I’m not going to call out a person who may or may not have been aware of the problems. I do find it hard to believe that they didn’t know. If by chance they did I will let karma handle it.Btw I did purchase a brand new unopened factory fresh radio replacement.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.