• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

AT-5555N2 audio boost

magnuman

Feb 20, 2010
Jakaarta
91dd018.spaces.live.com
After fiddling around with the echo settings on my N2 I have arrived at the following for a worthwhile audio boost on SSB.
Echo L 16 and Echo T 9.
Switch it in and out via a long press of the Band/Tone button.
Appreciate any feed back from those users that try it. I have the mic gain full and a piece of flannel over the hole in microphone and close talk straight into it. Tx noise reduction off.

How the heck is adding a bunch of annoying echo an "audio boost" ?!?!
In no reality does adding echo boost anything; it just makes the audio hard to understand and makes the user sound like a Mexican AM radio station. Yuck.
And putting flannel over the hole? :rolleyes:. Right.

I run a 5555N2 with the stock mic and gain at 34. Nothing but positive reports on the audio, which is loud and punchy. it doesn't NEED boosting. It sounds great already.

Reactions: Pez and sp5it
Echo as modulation boost? LMAO.
Simple DSB clipper will give you much better result.
Mike
I actually agree with the comments above but the reason I posted was to get comments and feetback from people who have tried it.
Did it work for you or not?
Did other settings work better?
It is something that doesn't require any financial outlay or physical change to the radio and can be readily turned on and off by a button on the radio.
Whats not to like?
The Tone (echo) function has two menu components. Delay and volume. Perhaps I should have just mentioned the menu numbers and not mentioned that horrible word (echo.)
I felt it made a worthwhile change and helped when signals were low. Plenty of room for experimentation to suit individual taste.
Just another thing to try out, on what has to be the best value CB on the market today.

I actually agree with the comments above but the reason I posted was to get comments and feetback from people who have tried it.
Did it work for you or not?
Did other settings work better?
It is something that doesn't require any financial outlay or physical change to the radio and can be readily turned on and off by a button on the radio.
Whats not to like?
The Tone (echo) function has two menu components. Delay and volume. Perhaps I should have just mentioned the menu numbers and not mentioned that horrible word (echo.)
I felt it made a worthwhile change and helped when signals were low. Plenty of room for experimentation to suit individual taste.
Just another thing to try out, on what has to be the best value CB on the market today.
I see where you're coming from and will try what you say with mine. I think most folks hear echo and they immediately think of the annoying chicken hauler reverb echo and I have to agree that too much is really too much.

i know a fellow with same radio. very hard to hear him @ 23 miles range with my s6 noise floor. he applied (imo) too much echo, and i could hear him better. when he backed it down to "barely noticeable", it was still carrying better than with it turned off. my $0.02 worth

Reactions: unit_399
Echo does nothing for audio enhancement
It's a gay trucker thing
72.png

i know a fellow with same radio. very hard to hear him @ 23 miles range with my s6 noise floor. he applied (imo) too much echo, and i could hear him better. when he backed it down to "barely noticeable", it was still carrying better than with it turned off. my $0.02 worth
Similar here. A couple of locals run just a little bit of echo so that it’s hardly noticeable and not the least bit annoying. With it on, they are clearly a little louder than with it off. One is on a Galaxy 2547 and the other is on a Cobra 29. Both are using the Galaxy Echo Master desk mic.

As someone with a background in audio engineering, the whole concept of echo making audio more understandable is completely absurd.
There isn't an audio effect out there that can make audio more understandable! Methods that do improve audio include compression and limiting, compandering, and using multi-band audio processors. Hi quality DSP's are helpful as well, for both transmit and receive audio.
Audio effects such as echo, reverb, delay et al are just that.....audio effects. Whether we are talking live music, a recording studio, broadcast radio, or talking on a CB, they are still just effects; they DON'T make audio clearer or more understandable, and anybody that tries to tell you otherwise is just spouting hillbilly CB juju.

In my experience a slight bit of echo added to the audio signal increases the perceived loudness at the receive end. This is because the listener, in effect, hears everything twice.

- J.J. 399
thank you for your good explanation. i reckon that'd be alike to if the person was speaking slower, allowing more audio to get into human ears? if a station has trouble hearing me, that's my "go to" solution vs echo or yelling at the radio. good topic for posting so others can learn stuff they may not have considered.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.