• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

AT-5555N2 audio boost

We don't want the echo to be noticeable at all but we do want to use the volume that comes with the control to increase the loudness. Whether perceived or otherwise , frequently in poor conditions it seems to make a better copy at the received end. If you are already 5 and 7 then no need for it. Just use as required.
:rolleyes:

Reactions: dave457
This is why echo is only on chicken band radios....if it had any benefit at all on tx or rx it would be on hf rigs as well. But to each their own!
( echo on ssb...lol)

Reactions: BC Coyote
This is why echo is only on chicken band radios....if it had any benefit at all on tx or rx it would be on hf rigs as well. But to each their own!
( echo on ssb...lol)
And yet commercial FM radio stations use a tiny bit of reverb. It's not a club-on-your-head reverb, but finally adjusted. I once talked to another station who had great audio and I told him so. That's when he said he was using a "touch" of reverb. He did a Reverb ON/OFF to let my ears be the judge and his reverb was a hands down winner. It was a design of his own he said, and it wasn't until he had it at the halfway point where it was annoying. That's all I got from him as we were both mobile, going in different directions and our string had run out.

Even at its lowest setting, most echo circuits, at the minimum setting is too much, and increasing it is just there to annoy anyone else on the channel. And for Godsake never use it on SSB.

Reactions: unit_399
And yet commercial FM radio stations use a tiny bit of reverb
No they don't. They did way back in the 1960's and 1970's, but not any more. I know, I work in FM broadcast radio ! FM stations use multi-band processors to enhance sound quality and that doesn't involve echo or reverb.

Only places where reverb on FM radio is still used are Mexico, Peru, and maybe a couple other Latin American nations.

Reactions: dave457
No they don't. They did way back in the 1960's and 1970's, but not any more. I know, I work in FM broadcast radio ! FM stations use multi-band processors to enhance sound quality and that doesn't involve echo or reverb.

Only places where reverb on FM radio is still used are Mexico, Peru, and maybe a couple other Latin American nations.
Interesting. A group of hams in New England have a guy takes care of all of the electronic crap currently, at a radio station (no idea) who mentioned it when the topic swung into that area of radio. From what I gathered, they're an older station, more or less behind the times. I'll look through my audio recording to see if I have one with that conversation on it. On 2nd thought, I just checked my folder and have a couple hundred hours of QSO's to go through, so I'll take your word for it.

This is why echo is only on chicken band radios....if it had any benefit at all on tx or rx it would be on hf rigs as well.
The reason echo is not on HF rigs is that most of them employ some sort of digital processing to enhance their broadcast audio. Digital is way better, but it's pricey and it's one of the reasons that HF rigs are so expensive. So-called "chicken band" radios use echo because it's cheap and, PROPERLY ADJUSTED, it works.

Like BC Coyote said, commercial stations in the 60s and 70s used echo and reverb to enhance their audio. A touch of echo and/or reverb gave their station a fuller, brighter sound, especially on car radios of the day which needed all the help they could get. More importantly, most listeners were in their cars. These days, technical advances have made echo boxes and spring reverbs obsolete in commercial broadcasting.

But for the knowlegeable "chicken bander," echo can still be used as a useful tool toward better audio. It can also be made annoying as hell, but that's another discussion.

- J.J. 399

Last edited:
Respectfully I disagree..... echo,reverb and Rodger beep on a cb radio is nothing more than noise toys to sell more radios.
But if you think they make you sound better... To each their own.

Reactions: BC Coyote
I, too, run an Anytone At-5555n ii. I run parameters 18 and 19 (Echo length and Echo time) at 10 and 10. For me, it gives your audio more depth and tone. I have received great reports on my audio. Some have said it sounds more like FM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ David K. Aldridge:
    Hi. I acquired a Galaxy Saturn Turbo that goes into xmit mode, xmit LED lights, but no output at all in any mode when monitoring on a radio right next to it. Nothing. It receives fine. Also, in the amp module on back, there are MRF454's in there. Those weren't factory, were they? Any clues? Thanks.