• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Average distance for a Bone Stock 11 Meter SSB radio.

That's about what I get with my mobile mag mount and barefoot 979. 18 miles to a base antenna is about 3 s-units in SSB both ways, only 1 s-unit worse than my base talking to the same person on a sirio827 20' higher. This is hilly wooded terrain too. Mobile setups have potential if done right. I have neglected that antenna, its under a kayak. Latest vehicle makes way too much EMI and I'm too lazy to trace it.
Just Curious did you ever unlock the clairifier on your 979 ? I have 2 of those 979s with the external freq. counter and like the receive on them but feel they need to be unlocked because they jump up 3 digits when transmitting. I was thinking I should give him 1 of those because they seem easier to tweak as compared to that 980. From what I've got out of these posts it is worth the effort if I could penetrate his rock ! LOL When ever he comes to my place to help me test my radios he seems to enjoy himself like back in the old days when he was into CB radio talking skip.

I always a fan of the the answer to park a 1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, or Suburban in your back yard, setup on cinder blocks. Put a Wilson, Siro, or Tram big mag mount antenna on the roof. 9 foot whip to the big chrome bumper. Drill the old ball mount in center of the roof. Run some good coax to the house, or just enough to our radio you mounted under the dash. Run the extension cords for your power supply- to run the radio, and beer cooler. Don't forget the battery charger to charge up the battery for the AC Delco AM radio in the dash and the cigarette lighter. Maybe an oil radiator heater 19.99 at an Ollies now in the back seat. Makes me remember back in the 1980's- politically correct birth control discussions was that your pappy bought you a Volkswagen, or Honda Civic. Hope everyone is have a great weekend.

Reactions: whiteastro
a guy 25 miles away can't hear me on AM, he has 1 to 3 S units from me on ssb. ssb on ground wave should be good for double the distance, pending local interference. elevation also plays a major role.

Just Curious did you ever unlock the clairifier on your 979 ? I have 2 of those 979s with the external freq. counter and like the receive on them but feel they need to be unlocked because they jump up 3 digits when transmitting. I was thinking I should give him 1 of those because they seem easier to tweak as compared to that 980. From what I've got out of these posts it is worth the effort if I could penetrate his rock ! LOL When ever he comes to my place to help me test my radios he seems to enjoy himself like back in the old days when he was into CB radio talking skip.
It was unlocked, but I can't remember if I did that one or the previous owner.

Having it unlocked was the only way to use it in my truck. My usual procedure was to wait for the truck to warm up to a comfortable level, then I would key down on AM for a minute, then I would put it back in SSB and be close enough to hear the stations and fine tune the clarifier. If I got in the truck and tried using it without doing that, The clarifier would have tobe turned quite a bit and I'd have to slowly bring it back as I talked. But once it was on freq, it stayed there for the whole drive. I liked it.

I used to run the 979 in the house too, worked great. I think it is the same board as the DX2547.
They are sensitive to Northern PA cold winter temps. for mobile operation which require some warm up time but for a inside base station it would be more stable.
Did you ever experience the external speaker port on the back being bored out maybe a little large so the speaker pin breaks contact sometimes? It happens in my mobile set up sometimes which is annoying. Other than that I love the radio and figure there is probably a lot of mods for it if someone so desired !

Reactions: brandon7861
They are sensitive to Northern PA cold winter temps. for mobile operation which require some warm up time but for a inside base station it would be more stable.
Did you ever experience the external speaker port on the back being bored out maybe a little large so the speaker pin breaks contact sometimes? It happens in my mobile set up sometimes which is annoying. Other than that I love the radio and figure there is probably a lot of mods for it if someone so desired !
I never did use the PA jack so I don't know. When I switched vehicles to this noisy one, I had borrowed that radio to 8113 as he was showing interest in getting back on the air (he used to be on here back in 2016). He still has it otherwise I'd check.

Northern MN, cold winters here too.

I never did use the PA jack so I don't know.
It's not the PA jack port that is loose, it is the external speaker port that seems loose, and I've tried a couple different external speakers with the same result so I don't think it is the external speaker. In all my years of CB I've probably only used the PA speaker port a couple times so I wouldn't even miss it if it wasn't there. LOL

Ex Speaker, thats what I meant, not sure why I typed PA jack. I rarely use either in a mobile setup.

I wonder if they are the sealed kind or the ones where you can get to the contact tabs and bend them in a little. Some of the older 3.5mm phone connectors were nearly wide open on the top. I can't remember what kind my 979 had, probably the totally encased in plastic ones.

Ex Speaker, thats what I meant, not sure why I typed PA jack. I rarely use either in a mobile setup.

I wonder if they are the sealed kind or the ones where you can get to the contact tabs and bend them in a little. Some of the older 3.5mm phone connectors were nearly wide open on the top. I can't remember what kind my 979 had, probably the totally encased in plastic ones.
I took a quick peek inside one time and it didn't look easy adjustable so I'm not going to sweat it because it will probably get replace with my Lincoln II+ or a Anytone 6666 Pro after the dust settles and the bugs are out of the New Kid in Town. LOL

Reactions: brandon7861
In my experience with my Realistic TRC-453 and a Wilson 1000 mag mount I was able to talk mobile to mobile on AM mode up to 14 miles and up to 20 on a base. On SSB I was able to talk up to 30 miles mobile to mobile and up to 50 miles mobile to base.
Sounds like you had the right combination, tuned well together. I've heard before the realistic radios were good radios but I never had the pleasure of owning one. I did have a Wilson Lil Wil before and hated it but maybe because I didn't clip the stinger to tune it better. Thanks for sharing ! So much radio history.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    those boys in Louisiana going to be hard to live with...working those HI stations...my buddy Greg KK5SW/4 elements @35ft/350 watts...2 HI contacts today!!!! Arnold KE5JXC snagged one also!!!
    +1
  • @ Mark Malcomb:
    Hello BJ. Been a long time since I've been on. You doing well? Mark Malcomb
  • @ Naysayer:
    I’m