• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Back on the radio here in Western, NC...after hurricane Helene.

snippits75

Nov 11, 2019
Helene was dumping rain on my area three days before the storm actually hit. Then the winds came, and more rain. On the day Helene hit here in Western, NC, it was around 6:00 AM morning, and did not subside to around 5:00 PM that evening. Winds were gusting to about 70, and staying steady around 45 to 50. The gusts were scary. Heard tree limbs cracking, and heard them falling all around the woods that surrounds my house.

Fortunately, we did not get flooded out, but did lose power for about a week. Only thing working was water, but it was on boil alert, and smelled like piss. People were begging for water. I got out my old Lodge five quart camp pot, and hung it over a pit to boil water. No store that was open had any water left or gas bottles.

FEMA showed up about three days after the storm. Saw and thanked a group from Orange County, CA. rescue team. Personally, I had it easy compared to whole towns that were washed away. Thanks to all that came to help from all across the USA.

Finally got to check my radio, and yes everything is working. Six month old Maco V58 was bent over during the heavy wind gusts, but it's still standing straight, and it is still working very good. The bottom is only 24 feet above ground. Not sure if it would of held up at 50 feet above ground. No wind break either. Wind was hitting it head on.

Anyway, glad to be back on the forum. Have a good day.

Finally got to check my radio, and yes everything is working. Six month old Maco V58 was bent over during the heavy wind gusts, but it's still standing straight, and it is still working very good. The bottom is only 24 feet above ground. Not sure if it would of held up at 50 feet above ground. No wind break either. Wind was hitting it head on.

Anyway, glad to be back on the forum. Have a good day.
That is some of the best news I've heard in a while. This old boy gets sick of what mother nature does to my neighbors. People work all their life to build a home and it can be wiped out in the blink of a eye. Guess I better not complain about our snow.

Welcome back !

Reactions: snippits75 and NZ8N

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    those boys in Louisiana going to be hard to live with...working those HI stations...my buddy Greg KK5SW/4 elements @35ft/350 watts...2 HI contacts today!!!! Arnold KE5JXC snagged one also!!!
    +1
  • @ Mark Malcomb:
    Hello BJ. Been a long time since I've been on. You doing well? Mark Malcomb
  • @ Naysayer:
    I’m