• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

DC Grounded Base Load Antenna vs 1/4 Ground Plane mobile antenna

So it sounds like next to impossible to have a 64" shunt fed with NMO mount.
The only problem with shunt feeding 64" with an NMO mount is that 64"/(4*109")=.146 wavelength, and at those dimensions, the feed impedance would be in the neighborhood of 10-j400. That is easy to match with a 4" coil form, but in an NMO mount assuming 3/4" coil form, it would be about 5" long for the inductance you need. 25 or so turns, of .1" wire with a .2" pitch, so it wont take much power either as the wire needs to be small. I've never even seen a NMO coil housing 5" tall. But using .25" diameter wire on a 4" form and a .75" winding pitch, you only need a few turns. So IMO NMO packages are not going to be easy with 64" of whip at 11m.

So it sounds like next to impossible to have a 64" shunt fed with NMO mount. My Choices are 30-34mhz end fed with 64" whip PIA to tune, little benefit and more noise, BR140 shorter lower quality, PCTEL MLBDC 2700 slightly better than BR140, change nmo to uhf for a wilson 1000, or search ebay for a Laird CW27.
It's not impossible. They are available. Send me a PM.

Going to go big time old school. Hustler time, I was truly surprised with the results I get with the Hustler center loaded. Not to mention the nostalgia factor of seeing them on the Bandit's Big Truck. Bob's CB suggested it and set it up the last time I bought a new radio and paid the 30 to have them install a Firestk mount and run coax. Not as good as the big whip, but about the most length you can get with least weight washout going base load with NMO mount. I am debating getting my auto body guy to drill the center of roof for a NMO mount. And I looked at getting the shark fin replaced with a model that has a GPS antenna nd a NMO mount. Nissan Rouge 2017

Is there any advantage of a DC grounded base load over a 1/4 ground plane for mobile use? I read the DC grounded base is good if lack of ground plane, I would like to learn more about them. Sorry if this has been covered I have searched several times but would like some more knowledge on the subject.
I have posted in other threads in this forum, regarding my work with Workman on some of their antenna line. The antenna I am going to show here, is almost ready. The only issue right now, is the manufacturer included the wrong whips. We are waiting for the correct whips to arrive. However, the (temporarily) included 62" whip can be used and cut to whatever frequency you wish to use in the intended frequency range.

That said, the antenna can be purchased today if interested.

Freq Range 26-30 MHz
Power Handling Rating 1KW
VSWR <1.5:1 across 1.5 MHz BW
Mount Style NMO or UHF
Shunt Fed (DC Grounded)
Low Loss Coil Design

PM only if interested

SuperLid

Attachments

• 2630 NMO Coil open.jpg
    2630 NMO Coil open.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 2630 coils.jpg
    2630 coils.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 2630 NMO Coils Side View.jpg
    2630 NMO Coils Side View.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reactions: secret squirrel

Going to go big time old school. Hustler time, I was truly surprised with the results I get with the Hustler center loaded. Not to mention the nostalgia factor of seeing them on the Bandit's Big Truck. Bob's CB suggested it and set it up the last time I bought a new radio and paid the 30 to have them install a Firestk mount and run coax. Not as good as the big whip, but about the most length you can get with least weight washout going base load with NMO mount. I am debating getting my auto body guy to drill the center of roof for a NMO mount. And I looked at getting the shark fin replaced with a model that has a GPS antenna nd a NMO mount. Nissan Rouge 2017
I use one of those on the right front fender of my Dodge ram when I have the camper on the back seems to work fairly well and looks decent there. I don;t think a base load would work on it coil would be too close to the hood. The NMO antennas look better on my compact hatchback and seems to work well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.