• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Found Tower & Antenna for sale

whiteastro

Feb 22, 2019
While snooping around I found this combination for sale for $500.00 OBO. It must be taken down. Can anyone ID the antenna ( s) by the picture. By my untrained eye looks like it might be 2 antenna? And the other question is it really worth that kind of money if you have to put the labor in it, depending on the condition?Antenna and tower.jpg

I would keep looking. I have found Rohn 20 or 25 for free. Sometimes they just want them gone...
I like your way of thinking ! LOL I would never give him that kind of money for that kind of labor involved. Besides it looks like it is in the city so there is probably a Space problem of laying it down and I would never climb it. But was wondering what the antenna ( s ) are.

Looks like a GAP/Maybe MFJ clone multi-band vertical...Yep city lot antenna...??
Tower...common TV antenna grade tower...even Rohn 20 is better than that...I think Rohn even quit selling 20...I think American tower still makes sections/ type similar.... but Lite-Duty stuff IMHO

Reactions: whiteastro
Looks like that extra height from the extension pole wouldn’t survive high winds. I wouldn’t feel comfortable where I live with that.

Not a bad deal if it isn't rusted. I assume it's local pickup.

I would ask if the tower base is in concrete and if the base section is hinged. You may need a new base.

If it were me, I would add another section or 2 if you want that height for better stability and even still may need some guy wires.

A rotor plate and thrust bearing plate can be easily added for directivity and antenna stability.

Reactions: whiteastro
After you get more info from the seller, make a "low-ball offer". Most likely, they just want it gone, in the end.
Before I made any offer I would have to actually see the situation and equipment to see what kind of mess it is. I've spent my whole life fixing junk to have something to work with and the bod grows weary. That's why I'd like to know if the Antenna on the tower is worth the bother. I can fix almost anything but already have too many unfinished projects and just don't want to bite-off more than I want to Chew unless it is a killer of a deal ! LOL and Thanks

I do know of cases where people got paid to take down and haul away perfectly good towers.......
I could see that happening especially if some one just inherited it and had no interest in it. More than a few lazy people in this world and cheapos but I thought the sale was sort of high from the beginning but had no clue about the antenna. I was pricing new towers, rotors & a shooting star antenna with 2ea 100' run of coax and that made me quiver also. LOL And let's not forget all the little hidden cost of a new installation. I like your Idea Better !

Reactions: BC Coyote
I've spent my whole life fixing junk
I feel your pain, brother. I fix junk all day at work, and then come home and fix more junk. Then my neighbors see me outside, and want me to fix their junk too. Being able to fix things is a double edged sword. If I didn't know how to fix stuff, I wouldn't keep stuff to fix. I would throw it away like everyone else, and have all kinds of free time on my hands.

But I can't imagine what life would really be like, I have been fixing stuff since I was old enough to break stuff.... :cool:

But I can't imagine what life would really be like, I have been fixing stuff since I was old enough to break stuff.
You sound like my twin brother LOL because everybody in town see's me fixing stuff and has stuff they want fixed. I try to be nice and not tell them ( You couldn't afford me because I haven't reached my dreams yet ) And then there is Family with all their Junk and they must think the Good Tooth Fairy gave you all the tools. And they have more money and could afford to hire it done. ( Self Centered Cheap Skates ) LOL Talk to you later Brother ! LOL

Oh and by the way Dave at DTB Radio did a superb of Fixing the Mis-Alignment on my Lincoln II+ because it was yacking out DX with the clarifier on dead center most of the day. Now all I have to do is figure out how to Fix the Receive. LOL

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.