• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Galaxy DX99V Frequency Counter shows 24.xxx

I touched up all the solder joints around the 10.240 crystal. And the jump to 24.xxx has stopped. But I have noticed I can push in lightly on the channel selector and it will drift away from the selected frequency. It comes right back on frequency once it makes good connection. I inherited the radio from my late Uncle. He was a chain smoker. Should I use some contact cleaner in the selector switch? How is the best way to get cleaner inside the switch?

A proper control cleaner containing a light lubricant is best for the channel selector. Any control that has contacts that wipe one metal surface against another needs a light film of lubrication to reduce wear from metal-on-metal friction. Common product description is "control cleaner" rather than a dry no-residue contact cleaner.

Marginal solder connections in that kind of radio earned it the name "Galaxy Syndrome" around here. If it has one of the rogue 10.24 crystals you may find that you just "shocked" the crystal back to working again. If it quits again soon, that's a sign.

Best of luck and 73

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.