• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Help understanding my antenna analyzer

I'm currently in the job of getting the base antenna tuned with the use of my rig expert but after getting my brain all jammed up with the numbers I dug to find this. It made me realize that some of my understanding of the readings wasn't correct or I confused the hell out of myself.

I recently tuned a 6m Moxon beam using my RE-55 Zoom. The final results:

20240828_085608.jpg20240828_085630.jpg20240828_085645.jpg
I honestly don't pay close attention to a super low SWR. I'm looking at being close to resonance at my chosen frequency and getting the L (inductive reactance) and C (capacitive reactance) numbers as low as possible. Everything else, SWR, RL (Return Loss, the higher the dB the better) will usually follow to a good place.
Not saying this is the only right way to tune but it works for me and lots of other folks. The chase for nothing but a super low SWR can ignore other important aspects than may not leave your antenna as efficient as it could be even though the SWR looks wonderful on a meter.
I wouldn't run any radio with anything more than a 1.3 SWR.
There are ham operators the world over talking long distances using antennas having a SWR well above 1.3:1. The reflected power differences between 1.3 and 1.9 to 2 are minute and cause zero issues with any decent transceiver.

7 3

I used mine to tune a 1/2 wave RG-402 mobile feedline @ 27.35MHz.

Attachments

• P1060134.JPG
    P1060134.JPG
    496.5 KB · Views: 9
  • P1060136.JPG
    P1060136.JPG
    492.9 KB · Views: 9

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.