• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Jetstream JT270M - 10 Watt 2m / 70cm

I didn't even realize that Jetstream had that out. That's pretty interesting and might be real useful for certain installs, like motorycles!

I agree it's a perfect size for a bike. Funny thing is Jetstream isn't showing the radio on their website and it's only available from a few retailers. Kind of odd they wouldn't have a new product on their own website. Maybe it's not the same Jetstream who makes all the other low cost stuff.

I have one of the JT270M rigs (aka Leixen 898). Not a bad radio, but as with all these Chinese rigs, there are issues.
Mine works ok, with one exception...it will not scan VHF and UHF frequencies at the same time, that are stored in memory channels. It will either scan all VHF frequencies, or all UHF frequencies, but not both. Some others have noted this same issue, but I can't tell whether all the radios do this, or if it is a weirdness with just some radios.
Otherwise, it does what it is supposed to do and it is really small. 2x more watts than an HT, but about the same size, with a DTMF mic and mounting bracket. It does have a high power/low power setting.
Audio out of the small speaker is so-so, but usable. Transmit audio is ok, but lacks a bit of bottom end.
I got mine from K1CRA's website, and it included the software and cable. You need a password to run the software and it is listed in a document on the supplied disc... "jet" for user, and "12345678" for the password.
The Leixen software uses "ham" for user, and "89812345" for password. Both versions of the software are otherwise the same.

Looks like their must be a few different versions floating around...
Manual on the site, I listed shows it will scan memories regardless of frequency.
Extended freq RX :136-174 Mhz/200-265 Mhz/400-520Mhz +FM broadcast
Plus up/down mic with programmable function keys, and Dual (2 memory) Watch...
Pretty much sounds like my San Sonic/ GT3 Mk II with a 10 watt output...
And Yes small package!
All the Best
Gary

Yes, the manual states it will scan all frequencies in memory, but my radio will not do that. It will only scan the memory channels that are on the same band as the VFO. If I punch a 220 freq into VFO, and have no 220 freqs stored in memory channels, it will not scan.
I saw one or two references on QRZ about this issue, but have not been able to confirm if this happens on all these radios, or just some. If you have one, try it and let me know.

Sales Department @ R&L Electronics <sales@randl.com>
12:57 PM (2 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Sorry, it will only memory scan within 1 band.

Sales Department @ R&L Electronics
www.randl.com
800-221-7735

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Jetstream JT270M / Query
Date: Mon, November 10, 2014 8:14 am
To: sales@randl.com

http://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/jetstream-jt270m-10-watt-2m-70cm.175107/#post-501851
To Rodger/Staff: Good Morning!
Check entries in regards to Scan/Freq issue on the rig...
(won't allow Dual band scanning from memory/locks out other band, depends on VFO frequency)
Firmware issue maybe?...
Has this been resolved in your version?
Just trying to check...Have several prospective buyers interested but this issue with scanning had shown up on Qrz and elsewhere.
Thanks
W9FNB

Maybe I'll pick one up as my birthday present to me..after I get back from my fishing trip to the Outer Banks the week of Thanksgiving which is also a birthday present to me. lol

Thanks to BJ Radionut for reaching out to R&L and getting a definitive answer. It is odd that it doesn't allow scanning of all bands in memory at the same time. From what I have read, the radios are not firmware upgradable (I have seen that referenced on the Miklor site, I do not know that for a fact), so if you want one, you either have to live with the scanning limitation, or wait and see if they come out with a newer firmware version that addresses the issue.

I have the Leixen VV-898. (same as JT270M)
As long as I have the frequency programmed in one of the 199 memory channels, it doesn't care what frequency/band it's on. It scans fine.

The only restriction is if I'm in the VFO mode (which is understood)

John
http://www.miklor.com/VV898

So the Leixen works correctly? Can there be a difference between the Leixen and Jetstream radios?
My Jetstream will not scan both VHF and UHF frequencies in memory...only those frequencies that match the band that is entered into the VFO.
So, if I entered VHF frequencies in all even numbered memory channels, and UHF freqs in all odd numbered memory channels, and had a VHF frequency dialed into the VFO in the B side of the radio, the Jetstream would only scan the even numbered memory channels (and of course, only the odd number channels if a UHF freq were punched into the B side VFO). Very weird.

I just ran tests based on what you described.
I programmed mine using the factory software.

I ran two separate tests.
- MENU 38 set to "TO"
- MENU 38 set to "CO"

- Scanned LCD "A" in both TO and CO modes
- Scanned LCD "B" in both TO and CO modes
All memory channels scanned.

I sent a test signals on both VHF and UHF channels and everything worked exactly as it should.

The software shows that my VV-898 was manufactured 8-17-2014.
Now I'm curious whether this is a Jetstream JT270M Bug or effects all radios produced before 8-17-2014.

John
http://www.miklor.com

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    those boys in Louisiana going to be hard to live with...working those HI stations...my buddy Greg KK5SW/4 elements @35ft/350 watts...2 HI contacts today!!!! Arnold KE5JXC snagged one also!!!
    +1
  • @ Mark Malcomb:
    Hello BJ. Been a long time since I've been on. You doing well? Mark Malcomb
  • @ Naysayer:
    I’m