• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

K-PO DX 5000+ Service Menu

First step towards doing that is to gather data about the chips in the radio and figure out how to interact with them. Since any new firmware would probably be pushed over a USB programming cable it could be possible to extract it the same way, but you'd need to know what the hardware is to know how to do it if it can be done.

Then you have the problem of can what was dumped be understood and can it be modified? There are various ways of preventing reading and/or modification including encrypting stored data or at least having a cryptographically signed checksum. I don't know if the vendors go to this much trouble but it is something to be aware of.

I think that's why Mark19960 chose to build his own board for the Uniden 980. Couldn't get at the firmware directly so he substituted his own along with the hardware. The vendors don't want us playing around at that level. The smart ones are releasing updates so we don't feel like we have to.
Maybe the best way would be to extract the software from a new version 7900 and then use that for the first run radio? I'm no guru by any means.

Mark19960 just released a video doing the software swap between two of the newest version 955's.

First step towards doing that is to gather data about the chips in the radio and figure out how to interact with them. Since any new firmware would probably be pushed over a USB programming cable it could be possible to extract it the same way, but you'd need to know what the hardware is to know how to do it if it can be done.

Then you have the problem of can what was dumped be understood and can it be modified? There are various ways of preventing reading and/or modification including encrypting stored data or at least having a cryptographically signed checksum. I don't know if the vendors go to this much trouble but it is something to be aware of.

I think that's why Mark19960 chose to build his own board for the Uniden 980. Couldn't get at the firmware directly so he substituted his own along with the hardware. The vendors don't want us playing around at that level. The smart ones are releasing updates so we don't feel like we have to.
I have the latest AT-5555N2 firmware here, which is 99% the same as the SS-7900V (see my last post for the differences)....

"The smart ones are releasing updates so we don't feel like we have to." spot on @TM86. (y)

Maybe the best way would be to extract the software from a new version 7900 and then use that for the first run radio? I'm no guru by any means.

Mark19960 just released a video doing the software swap between two of the newest version 955's.
I would just about bet my 7900V that he did not read the firmware from one radio, and copy it to the other. He will have had the firmware loader tool, as supplied by Stryker, which he used to make both radios the same. The tool can only WRITE. It cannot READ.

QXcodePro3.png

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I was looking at the DX-5000 on Scott's Radio website. Thinking about buying a new radio with technology from this decade. Anything negative comments about the DX-5000 and the K-PO power mic. It's great that it can be software updated.

I was looking at the DX-5000 on Scott's Radio website. Thinking about buying a new radio with technology from this decade. Anything negative comments about the DX-5000 and the K-PO power mic. It's great that it can be software updated.
It is the same radio as the Anytone 5555+. The only thing that I don't like is that the lights on the face are a different color than the screen which is a different color than the channel display. Crt has one that has blue and green lights.

i just got 1 from Scott's. it probably didn't need aligned. i use an astatic 636L mic with the pin#4 sleeve removed from the mic plug. great audio reports on it and the crt6900v. the crt is just blinding blue screen and to change channels is sketchy on the 6900v as well, so consider that maybe

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.