• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Maco V-Quad....

Marconi,
You were typing with the wrong hand, those fingers got it just backwards. Adding inductance lowers frequency, not raise it.
You're right about a loop typically having an input impedance of about 100 ohms. But, adding more elements to an antenna lowers it's input impedance. The more additional elements the lower that input impedance. A gamma match -raises- impedance, so works fine with an antenna which has a 'too low' input impedance. (Most impedance matching devices found on a multi-element antenna raises it's input impedance.)
- 'Doc

See, that's what happens when you hold that beer can in the wrong hand when typing...

You're right 'Doc, I was just checking on you sharper guys.

Last edited:
Your words really make good sense CK. The readers here should make your words a mental sticky note. (y)

I never took vacations, unless I was doing business at some conference or workshop, but 20 days off really sounds good. Enjoy! :sad:

Your words really make good sense CK. The readers here should make your words a mental sticky note. (y)

I never took vacations, unless I was doing business at some conference or workshop, but 20 days off really sounds good. Enjoy! :sad:

My words have gotten me into a few sticky situations before so that may not be a great idea. ;)

As for vacations, everyone needs them. I just had 12 days off and went back for one rotation of two days and two nights and then off again for another 20. That burns up all my regular vacation time for the year. I still have a some banked holiday time left, four days I believe, and will accumulate another four (labour day, thanksgiving, Christmas and Boxing days) before the end of the year. Me likey. (y)

BTW the smoker is doing fine after a little kick. It needed a bit more heat. Mmmmmmm.....pork loin chops smoked in apple wood smoke with apple butter BBQ sauce on near the end. :drool:

• Love
Reactions: Dusty1USA
I am glad someone else is interested in this antenna. I agree with m42duster, I think quads lost favor over the years due to the fiberglass spreaders going all hairy and being hard to deal with. And Captain Kilowatt is right too.... these were just never really understood or accepted as much as a traditional Yagi or Moonraker/Shooting Star type antenna.

Here's a thread I started regarding the V quad. Pretty cool pic of a stacked set of them, too.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/156590-stacked-v-quads-versus.html

I would try the antenna, especially for DX.

RT307

hey duster how was your v quad on local chatting? i know my local reported better results
with his groundplane antenna for local. i do agree a quad would be mu FIRST choice.
checkout lightingantennas.com they make quads.

At the time, I only had an Antron to compare it with. I had a 3 element Cushcraft TEN-3, but it was horizontal. I ran the V-Quad vertical. I know I was able to talk with some friends that were over 40 miles away. I had solid copy, but could barely hear them on the Antron.

I recommended the V-Quad to a friend of mine. That was several years ago, he reported his local contacts had a reduced signal, but farther ground wave contacts were stronger.

It's a sleeper in my eyes. Wish I had another.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
At the time, I only had an Antron to compare it with. I had a 3 element Cushcraft TEN-3, but it was horizontal. I ran the V-Quad vertical. I know I was able to talk with some friends that were over 40 miles away. I had solid copy, but could barely hear them on the Antron.

I recommended the V-Quad to a friend of mine. That was several years ago, he reported his local contacts had a reduced signal, but farther ground wave contacts were stronger.

It's a sleeper in my eyes. Wish I had another.

yup thats pretty much what my local said many years ago. he said he could hold dx
conditions [less fading] than any of his g/p type antennas.now its bee n said here
on this one that a quad works well at lower hights, im curious as can the v quad
do the same?

Unfortunately I don't have the maco anymore, sold it when i moved house. Yes about 120 ohm impedance is correct. Trouble is a 2 element at the maco spacings is still about 100 ohms ,but that does vary considerably with the tuning of the reflector . I have built many quads and yagis over the years but never scratch built an all aluminium delta. I can see a 3 or 4 element on the horizon. I live in the suburbs so a high tower is out of the question . The advantage for me is the extra height gained from using a v configuration ( with all the antenna above the mounting point)

What can I say, I'm just naturally talented in that beer can holding thingy, lots of practice. I still forget sometimes so have to be checked on occasionally. The barmaids are pretty good about that...
- 'Doc

Unfortunately I don't have the maco anymore, sold it when i moved house. Yes about 120 ohm impedance is correct. Trouble is a 2 element at the maco spacings is still about 100 ohms ,but that does vary considerably with the tuning of the reflector . I have built many quads and yagis over the years but never scratch built an all aluminium delta. I can see a 3 or 4 element on the horizon. I live in the suburbs so a high tower is out of the question . The advantage for me is the extra height gained from using a v configuration ( with all the antenna above the mounting point)

i can understand about the high tower. so a yagi imho is out. question is should you
go with a v series. or a true quad. a true quad works well at low heights.check these out
jogunn.com= 2 element skip jack[ same as v quad] they also have 4,6 element versions
lightingantennas.com=this site constructs true quads and builds them for your frequency
use. everything is premeasured all you gotta do is assembly and tune.

My words have gotten me into a few sticky situations before so that may not be a great idea. ;)

As for vacations, everyone needs them. I just had 12 days off and went back for one rotation of two days and two nights and then off again for another 20. That burns up all my regular vacation time for the year. I still have a some banked holiday time left, four days I believe, and will accumulate another four (labour day, thanksgiving, Christmas and Boxing days) before the end of the year. Me likey. (y)

BTW the smoker is doing fine after a little kick. It needed a bit more heat. Mmmmmmm.....pork loin chops smoked in apple wood smoke with apple butter BBQ sauce on near the end. :drool:
Man you're killing me with those smoked chops.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.