• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Major Solar Storm hitting Earth!!!

No. There are no EMP's associated with a CME, which is what this is. EMP's large enough to be a problem are caused by nuclear explosions in the atmosphere, not by solar storms.
I knew enough to know the emps are associated with nuclear and they can do on purpose also.
Well that ole boy is way off the base then, spreading that word around. Go figure.

Last edited:
Reactions: BC Coyote
Another Flare early this morning. X5.8, making it the second biggest of this cycle and larger than any of the flares that are causing the current storm and auroras.
This one due to reach Earth on the 13 or 14 of May. Looks like we'll be getting a lot of aurora's and not much long distance radio conditions for a while yet.......

Lol. He would be proud of you
This morning I broke the connection to ground and inserted my 4.6 Gigawatt flux capacitor inline.
I have already saved enough charge to run the Amp for the rest of 2024
Life is good.

Jeff

eed58cdcf045b01defb2962b204bd064.jpg

I knew enough to know the emps are associated with nuclear and they can do on purpose also.
Well that ole boy is way off the base then, spreading that word around. Go figure.

Preppers tend to be a little bit on the edge anyway, IMO. A lot of them know just enough to boost their confidence enough to make themselves look foolish. There is no EMP associated with a CME however there is indeed the possibility of electronics being affected by them. This happens either in outer space where electronics are not protected by Earths magnetic field, or to power grids here on Earth. Basically, a generator creates electricity by rotating a wire coil within a magnetic field. During a CME there is a HUGE magnetic field as well as highly electrically charged particles that sweep past Earth and all it’s power lines. Crazy voltages can be induced into the power grid causing failures. In 1989 the province of Quebec had a major blackout lasting 9-10 hours caused by this. In 1994 Canada lost two comm satellites, Anik-E1 and E2. I remember this event very well, as I was working in the engineering dept. of a radio broadcast network here in Nova Scotia. I got called early one morning because we had no satellite news or programming feeds. I found the satellite receiver lit up red and the UNLOCK light was on indicating no signal. I called Toronto and was told Telesat Canada lost two birds. Eventually they were located but had drifted out of their orbital slots. One was recoverable but had a shorter life due to the use of fuel to keep it in place. Usually this is done using three gyros. The gyros were fried as the CME swept past us. It never even occurred to me to protect any electronics, actually. Simply no need to here on Earth. Power grids trip before nasties get into your home anyway when this stuff happens.

Loss of Anik-E1 and E2 January 1994

Last edited:
Preppers tend to be a little bit on the edge anyway, IMO. A lot of them know just enough to boost their confidence enough to make themselves look foolish. There is no EMP associated with a CME however there is indeed the possibility of electronics being affected by them. This happens either in outer space where electronics are not protected by Earths magnetic field, or to power grids here on Earth. Basically, a generator creates electricity by rotating a wire coil within a magnetic field. During a CME there is a HUGE magnetic field as well as highly electrically charged particles that sweep past Earth and all it’s power lines. Crazy voltages can be induced into the power grid causing failures. In 1989 the province of Quebec had a major blackout lasting 9-10 hours caused by this. In 1994 Canada lost two comm satellites, Anik-E1 and E2. I remember this event very well, as I was working in the engineering dept. of a radio broadcast network here in Nova Scotia. I got called early one morning because we had no satellite news or programming feeds. I found the satellite receiver lit up red and the UNLOCK light was on indicating no signal. I called Toronto and was told Telesat Canada lost two birds. Eventually they were located but had drifted out of their orbital slots. One was recoverable but had a shorter life due to the use of fuel to keep it in place. Usually this is done using three gyros. The gyros were fried as the CME swept past us. It never even occurred to me to protect any electronics, actually. Simply no need to here on Earth. Power grids trip before nasties get into your home anyway when this stuff happens.

Loss of Anik-E1 and E2 January 1994
Aah, so if satellites are affected there's probably so many more each year in orbit.
Elon Musk has put plenty for Starlink Internet and who know what else.
Could be a big ole expense mess.
I'll be watching for news of these things with the satellites and power grid.
Appreciate the info and you sharing some experiences about this.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.