• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Mic cord getting hot

Duckodb

Apr 15, 2023
Has anybody here ever had the little spring right where the cord goes into the mic get hot when you transmit?

That's a really odd one! Stray rf? Will it zap you?
I can’t tell that it’s shocking me just that when the bottom part of my hand touches it I get burnt. I put a new radio in my truck and every antenna I have had a high swr so I tried a little magnetic mount one I have and the swr all the way through the channels is around 1.4. One time right after I keyed it I went to adjust the antenna whip and it felt hot, I’m wondering if the antennas wattage capabilities are too low for the radio. This is a Stryker 955hpc, I’m thinking maybe I’ll buy a Wilson 5000 magnetic mount for permanent use, the utility bed layout with a pipe rack and a fuel tank on this truck doesn’t give me many options on a different location to put a regular antenna mount on it. That and the fact I don’t own it to be drilling holes in it and what not.

I guess one of us should have bluntly said to stop using it. I doesn't look like it'll get hot anymore because you've obviously cooked something.

Whatever you do, don't replace it with another one and do it again without first troubleshooting it.

As said above, it was definitely some sort of grounding issue. RIP 955

I guess one of us should have bluntly said to stop using it. I doesn't look like it'll get hot anymore because you've obviously cooked something.

Whatever you do, don't replace it with another one and do it again without first troubleshooting it.

As said above, it was definitely some sort of grounding issue. RIP 955
I assume it’s the antenna that’s not grounded? It was hooked straight to the battery for power so I’d think that part was grounded? But he’s I’ll get another one and definitely need to have this issue worked out already.

Were you trying to adjust the stinger while keying the radio? What type of antenna is it?
No it started out around a .7 on channel 1 and a 2 on channel 40 so I lowered it down a little got in shit the door keyed it and repeated that about 4 times till they met around 1.4 on both channels and I noticed it was hot one of the times when I moved it. I don’t know for sure I think it’s one of those little cheap road pro magnetic antennas it came with a used Cobra 29 classic I bought several years ago and I’ve never used it but since all else failed I thought I’d try it .

Sure sounds like too many watts for the antenna. You can get the SWR down but eventually it'll smoke the wirewound load on the antenna which in turn will/can destroy the radio. As far as it not keying anymore, it may be in SWR protection mode which would indicate you've already smoked the antenna so the radio is in self-preservation mode.

Whenever I've had a problem with RF burns from some part of my rig, it usually turned out to be a defective coax. Usually pinched in a door or trunk jam. In your case, I'd agree with members who said that the wattage output is too much for the mag antenna to handle. What other antennas did you try that had high SWR ??

Whenever I've had a problem with RF burns from some part of my rig, it usually turned out to be a defective coax. Usually pinched in a door or trunk jam. In your case, I'd agree with members who said that the wattage output is too much for the mag antenna to handle. What other antennas did you try that had high SWR ??

It’s definitely not in swr protection, it was doing that when I first hooked it up to the antenna I’ve had on the truck hooked to a cobra 29 that was working fine I might add. I had a Wilson 2000 on there with the 29, it wouldn’t work, tried a 3 ft Wilson silver load and it was showing about a 2.7 or so on both ends, tried a 3 ft firefly it said high swr, a 4 ft fire stik II which is what the Stryker in my Chevrolet truck has hooked to it and it works great but no good for this one and tried a 2 ft fire stik II. In my Chevrolet I have it hooked directly to the battery which is what I did with this Ford but I was reading somewhere today that you can’t ground a radio in a Ford that way it has to be grounded to the frame where the battery is grounded. Idk if that’s true i hate Fords and this is the first one I’ve been forced to drive in my 48 years. I had the cobra grounded under the dash of the ford and the hot plugged into the horn fuse and never had an issue. I’m hooking the Cobra back up as I’m typing this.

New FORD??? If so this explains much ...It is made of an Aluminum alloy...NO MAG Mount will work! IMHO...This is Why you see so many with cross bed STEEL toolboxes and big wires running down to the frame to bond the antennas...just seen one where wife and I went to dinner tonight. He had Dual Hustler ""Beer Can" loads on either side of the Steel toolbox and had run 2 #8 ga copper wires bolted from toolbox to bolts drilled and tapped to frame.
My Two Cents worth!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    those boys in Louisiana going to be hard to live with...working those HI stations...my buddy Greg KK5SW/4 elements @35ft/350 watts...2 HI contacts today!!!! Arnold KE5JXC snagged one also!!!
    +1
  • @ Mark Malcomb:
    Hello BJ. Been a long time since I've been on. You doing well? Mark Malcomb
  • @ Naysayer:
    I’m