• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mother Lode ...

Klondike Mike

May 31, 2010
Alberta, Canada
tinyurl.com
Thought I would post here as well ... bigger audience. I came across a Mother Lode of CB gear yesterday. A local was selling a base radio on Kijiji and I thought it was extremely cheap. The radio pictured was sitting on top of another classic. It was posted for a couple of weeks by the time I discovered it. After discussing with the seller about the sale, I raised an eyebrow after hearing about other stuff as well. I scheduled a visit and pulled a few "C" notes from the ATM.

Here is a couple of photo's and a couple of video's of what I ended up with ...

Mother Lode ... Microphones - YouTube
Mother Lode ... CB Radio's - YouTube

Attachments

• microphones2.jpg
    microphones2.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 193
  • radios2.jpg
    radios2.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 37

holy snikies !!!
with the exception of a stoner and maybe a arf 1000 those are the best cb radios ever made (y)(y)(y)

[...] the markings on it were extremely vague as to what its function was.
Yup. Back in those days, the FCC and our own "DoC" frowned on such "accessories". All manner of subterfuge was used to hide the actual intended use. Even the popular Siltronix VFO's were sold as a "receive" VFO, and the Siltronix transceiver was sold as a "CB receiver". Even today virtually all "export" and 10M radios are actually sold "under the table", since they are technically illegal when actually used as intended ;)

In fact, back then I was absolutely fascinated by any "illegal" CB gear, and would eagerly collect as much info on them as possible. The idea that there existed a whole "underground" radio market intrigued and fascinated me. Of course back then I owned an FT-101B, so I could listen in to all this "underground" activity but I was fascinated that there were actual manufacturers building and selling such gear.

In fact, I still am, in a way, which is why I own so many different "10M" radios. In a weird way, I suppose I'm a "radio renegade". On the ham bands, I'm a big-time AM user, running all manner of "tall ships" and "heavy metal", (a big 2X 813 rig running 600W and two 1KW broadcast transmitters).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
5421d1313123050-mother-lode-microphones2.jpg

The Motorola Microphone "White Desktop" is I believe is a :p:"AST878DM":p: or very close to that model number a Astatic 878 "DM" Desk Mic.

I had one till one day she took a dirt nap.

I would love it if you told me first if it is working and I would be a first to know if you ever let it go.

The Motorola Microphone "White Desktop" is I believe is a :p:"AST878DM":p: or very close to that model number a Astatic 878 "DM" Desk Mic. I would love it if you told me first if it is working and I would be a first to know if you ever let it go.

You are right. Astatic it is. For some reason "Motorola" popped out during the video shoot. Haven't really tested any of the mic's yet. The Astatic had a 4 pin connector on it. From memory I recall seeing it labeled underneath as a 1104 something or other. I'll have to take another look to confirm. I plugged in one of the brown 776's to the Browning and that's about it. I'll get around to them all sooner or later.

Haven't been able to confirm its identity yet. The graphics are all faded. I think I can make out the "A" used in the Astatic logo. I have not been able to locate any pictures mentioned by UnrealStunner to confirm either. Have not hooked it up for a test yet as well.

One way to tell is look at the circuit board it would say Astatic.

Kind of reminds me of the older model of the JCD-201M the newer 201M as pictured below is fantastic for SSB in fact it was made with that in mind runs on 4.5v "3 AAA Batteries"
J00-02000.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ flying turtle herder:
    Hello out there. F15 crustyrudder here with a tech question: im working on a BK1040 svcmstr. im trying to find the value of R98. ive downloaded scrams and not even found the R98. if someone could help me with this issue id appreciate it.
  • @ LinCB:
    New to the hobby here. Just hoping to fall into a new rabbit hole. Hi.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EDST (y)
  • dxBot:
    deathstalker has left the room.